No announcement yet.

KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is true that Gnome is useful to kids.

Problem is, it's *only* useful to kids. And adults with a kid's attitude. The popularity of Gnome is an alarming sign of Linux users becoming stupid over time.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      It is true that Gnome is useful to kids.

Problem is, it's *only* useful to kids. And adults with a kid's attitude.
      You mean all men?

(oh no, sexism all over again)

Comment

• After fixing a stupid bug in Ubuntu's Orca configuration, it worked pretty well. Illiterate people can certainly use this.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Novell decided on Gnome for one reason only. To utilize their acquirement of Ximian.
          And they don't put money into KDE? Kind of a nonsense post...

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          You mean all men?

(oh no, sexism all over again)
          As a man I must agree. There are a lot of times I just go majorly *Siiiiiiggggghhhhh* over kiddy behavior of most men.
          I can create 10 accounts and vote 10 times, can I not? The voters are unknown, because anyone can sign up
          Welcome to the internets

@RealNC: eletist flamebait crap.
          Last edited by V!NCENT; 30 August 2009, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            And they don't put money into KDE? Kind of a nonsense post...
            no, it isn't. With ximian f???f???? all over the managment, it was natural, that Suse's first class KDE support was destroyed.

Ximian - a bunch of assholes.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
              no, it isn't. With ximian f???f???? all over the managment, it was natural, that Suse's first class KDE support was destroyed.

Ximian - a bunch of assholes.
              Yup with KDE support would have surely died in SLE if it wasn't for the efforts of the openSUSE community to keep it alive and well.

Comment

• Since i began of using linux i used Gnome. Now i still use gnome but somethimes i switch for KDE.

Comment

• I had started with kde back in the 2's somewhere. When it switched to 4.0 I became a gnome person. I use both now depending on the whim. KDE 4.3.1 seems very nice.

And I must be a dumb guy because I are able to use gnome

Comment

• GNOME, it sucks less than KDE.

Comment

• Actually, I've been trying KDE and Gnome recently: I quickly decided that I was going to stick with Gnome.

This is a somewhat unusual situation since it's on a MythTV box where the GUI is only used occasionally to log in, do a few Unixy things for a few minutes and then log out; MythTV is configured to run by itself with no window manager or OS GUI.

My reasons were:

1. KDE looks prettier but looks are about the last thing I care about in a GUI.

2. KDE's side-sliding menus seem like a horrible design choice to me: when you're having to include a 'favorites' selection at the top level of the menu that seems like a pretty clear indication that you have a bad menu design which is preventing users from finding the options they want. I can pick a program to run in Gnome in less time than I need to scroll to another part of the menu in KDE.

Other people I've shown KDE to who are used to Windows XP just can't get the menus at all. Is this similar to the way Vista does its menus? I have vague memories of seeing something similar there but have only used it briefly a couple of times.

3. KDE takes a couple of minutes to start up, Gnome takes a few seconds to start up. That's a complete deal-breaker for my system where I might only log in for two minutes.

Comment

Working...
                      X