KDE Plasma Mobile Has Been Making Great Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    What is really "emulation mode" and why is it a bad thing?
    Anbox runs with Linux namespaces so it is not a virtual machine and nothing is really emulated.
    I haven't played with it, but I haven't seen any translation layer that doesn't incur a performance penalty. And fails to work for 100% of the existing apps.
    Also, what hardware would run this? Android's hardware is almost exclusively closed source, with driver supporting relatively ancient kernels. You're showing me bits and pieces (Plasma Mobile, Anbox), I'm telling you even having all of these in place, it's still going to be an uphill battle getting a 3rd mobile OS to gain traction. If you disagree, leave me a note when a(ny) new mobile OS breaks 10% market share, ok?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I haven't played with it, but I haven't seen any translation layer that doesn't incur a performance penalty. And fails to work for 100% of the existing apps.
      Also, what hardware would run this? Android's hardware is almost exclusively closed source, with driver supporting relatively ancient kernels. You're showing me bits and pieces (Plasma Mobile, Anbox), I'm telling you even having all of these in place, it's still going to be an uphill battle getting a 3rd mobile OS to gain traction. If you disagree, leave me a note when a(ny) new mobile OS breaks 10% market share, ok?
      Anbox is not an emulator or a simulator. It is not like console emulators like ZSNES. Anbox is more like Wine. Anbox is like it runs the Android user space on your systems Linux kernel, but in its own namespace so the performance should be native. But since it is not a Google-certified device it wont have access to Google Play services so the compatibility might not be great.
      Drivers wont be a problem since you will be using your systems drivers, so the performance should not be a problem. But there might be other problems such as poor integration and compatibility.

Comment

Working...
      X