No announcement yet.

Succeeding GNOME 3.38 Will Be "GNOME 40" - Yes, GNOME Forty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who cares what they call it, Gnome sucks anyway.

Comment

Well, if I understood correctly the progression number... When it will be time of GTK5 we will have GNOME 600; when GTK6 are going to be released GNOME version is going to be 7000. This makes sense a lot... XD

Comment

Originally posted by dreich View Post
        That would be unfair to web browsers. It is more like a single threaded web app.
        javascript is single threaded, so are all web apps

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          It's GNOME. They don't like being intuitive
          in what world 3.40 is more intuitive than 40?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            With GNOME jumping from 3 to 40
            gnome didn't jump from 3 to 40. gnome dropped useless 3. from 3.40.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              considering the route so many other projects take version numbering are totally meaningless for the average user.
              As Blahblah said - just use semantic versioning.

Version.Revision.Patch
              and how is this madness more meaningful to the average user than plain Version? average user doesn't need dot overdose. especially considering that gnome is umbrella project rather than a library

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

That’s not a bugfix release, it’s a minor feature release.

For example, GS/Mutter have long been merging significant perf work in “patch” releases.
                That sure seems more like a bugfix to me. It's not a feature to make it not sluggish :P

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Ditto!

I think it is smart to not pile dramatic changes in a single 4.0 release but introduce changes gradually as they did since 3.0.
                  Just imagine what would happen if they released a 4.0 that (i) moves completely to GTK4, (ii) has a new extension API, (iii) depreciates XOrg, ..., plus UI changes.
                  It's Deprecate!
                  Yeah I read that last night, that in essence they want to completely ditch Xorg. Which we all know is the inevitable thing to do, but at the same time gaming for the most part only works in X. And I don't think certain other things are even sorted yet to work under Wayland. I should see how well Wayland works on older hardware at some point.

Comment

Delgarde That's what I thought, I might have said it in confusing manner.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

That sure seems more like a bugfix to me. It's not a feature to make it not sluggish :P
                      From the technically illiterate user standpoint, maybe.

From the release management point of view, refactorings and optimizations are features, because they can introduce new bugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X