No announcement yet.

Succeeding GNOME 3.38 Will Be "GNOME 40" - Yes, GNOME Forty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile KDE (plasma, frameworks) 6 will still make sense by being based off Qt 6. Like it always has been. And the applications will still just use the date as the version which makes way more sense than an arbitrarily growing large number.

Comment

GNOME will eventually use the GTK 4.0, right??
      Last edited by Klassic Six; 16 September 2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Elegant. It’s a simplification and solves the 3 vs 4 discussion.
        Or it just means that we should not expect any fundamental changes beyond the Gnome 3 paradigm at all. Hence, the 3 is dropped.

Comment

Makes sense. So 40th version would be named "40", 2 versions per year, in theory, there's room of 30 years in order to hit tripple digits number, by then, naming scheme would likely be changed.
          I understand the need to move away from toolkit versioning, and while it does make sense, I'm not sure that this new scheme is a fortunate one.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Elegant. It’s a simplification and solves the 3 vs 4 discussion.
            So everything they do is perfect?? I mean don't get me wrong I love GNOME but this mean a new skin for the old app.

Comment

It's like everything GNOME do must be retarded.

Comment

Are you kidding me?

So no GNOME 4? Wow...

Comment

When Windows jumped from 8 to 10, as dumb as the reason was, at least there was a technical reason for them not to use 9.

When Slackware jumped from 4 to 7 to keep up with the version change bandwagon we pointed at them an laughed because that's a dumb reason.

With GNOME jumping from 3 to 40 we I think we need to see if they're smoking crack because that's beyond dumb. Then again, it says a lot about GNOME users if the GNOME devs think that GNOME 4.0 and GTK 4.0 is confusing.

Do I need Windows 3 to run The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind? Is that how computers work now? Because that's how retarded y'all sound.

Comment

How is this less unwieldy when accounting for GNOME 4.0's release, or, the simple fact that it's making some dramatic leap of a number with no particular rhyme or reason? I imagine this is going to cause a mess for package managers checking compatibility, especially once GNOME 4.0 comes out, and makes discussion of GNOME 3.x/40.x more confusing and tedious.
                    Also, what exactly is so "unwieldy" about 3.39, or 3.40? It's the same amount of characters as 40.0, except it's not ambiguous about what's coming up next. The whole point of assigning a version number to a product is so you understand clearly where something stands in the timeline of development.

Comment

Sickening... I don't use GNOME but considering the route so many other projects take version numbering are totally meaningless for the average user.
                      As Blahblah said - just use semantic versioning.

Version.Revision.Patch

A new version usually means that you rewrote the entire thing or did major breaking changes to it that may break forward or backwards compatibility.
                      A revision is usually fixing bugs or introducing new features and in most cases I have seen maintaining backwards compatibillity. e.g. a revision of the version.
                      Patch is of course a bugfix to the reivision of the version.

Also with ridiculous version numbering I at least loose interest. For example I don't even pay attention to Firefox anymore which is probably on version 70 or something insane now. There is no "carrot" to wanting to learn what new and interesting features is introduced with just a huge pointless number. Firefox probably redesigned their UI a few times and should probably have had a version bump at some point. Blender for example should have named 2.80. 3.0 in my opinion.

I was also reading the link to how on earth Gnome could choose such a insane version number. One of the arguments is hilarious as it states that a year.month versioning scheme requires two releases each year. Looking at that complete lack of logic I am not surprised they ended up with a insane version scheme.

But with Version 40 I am probably supposed to feel that GNOME is renewing itself , becoming timeless and dynamically strives to aspire towards a vision where sex-neutral eco friendly development focuses on replacing all integers with floating point to achieve a non-binary unified GUI with equal mounts of white and black pixels on screen to achieve perfect harmony with brown keyboards and yellow mousepointers with compatibility for transgender joysticks that fits any usb port configuration. And with this renewed boost of energy inspired solely by such an vital version number I can write bugreports for old ISDN drivers that refuse to run my floppy disk , because it is 2020 and no floppy should be left out as that would be simply racist and discriminating.

Nonsense you might think... Well in 20 more years it may not even be a laughing matter. Now off to xterm, looking forward to pipe a few commands together before someone gets a bright idea that the pipe symbol needs to go because it is too offensive or something.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                      X