Qt 5.15.1 Released With 400+ Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm pretty sure Kubuntu has the freedom to do the same. But ok.
    I think you are wrong, Kde Neon has its own additional repository, which Kubuntu cannot have by "contract", they have to use the standard Ubuntu repositories, if they want to use the Ubuntu brands.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Too many.

Kubuntu people should use KDE Neon if they want Ubuntu and KDE else they should pick a distribution that tracks upstream better like Tumbleweed, Fedora, or Arch.

Here's something I thought was funny. The 5.15.1 zip and xz file sizes:
      • For Windows users as a single zip file (910 MB)
      • For Linux/macOS users as a tar.xz file (554 MB)
      Well, it's a nit. But compressed tar and zip are two different things. Tar (effectively) creates the archive, then compresses it so it's compression algorithm(s) can act on common blocks shared by different files. Zip compresses each individual file as it builds the archive, so you can extract single files faster from a large zip archive than you can from compressed tar.

But you still have a point: zip allows different compression levels, but it's DEFLATE algorithm (shared by gzip) is pretty much fixed. Tar gives you a wide choice, and xz is a good modern one.

At the end of the day, zip affords a reasonable archive algorithm shareable by a wide range of OS. So I don't knock it (much).

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        I think you are wrong, Kde Neon has its own additional repository, which Kubuntu cannot have by "contract", they have to use the standard Ubuntu repositories, if they want to use the Ubuntu brands.
        They may be bound to using Ubuntu's repos by default, but nothing stops them from running their own PPAs. Not providing the latest Qt and KDE defeats the whole purpose of having Kubuntu (or any other KDE-centric distro) around.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They may be bound to using Ubuntu's repos by default, but nothing stops them from running their own PPAs. Not providing the latest Qt and KDE defeats the whole purpose of having Kubuntu (or any other KDE-centric distro) around.
          A backports repository already exists, however it cannot be the default, for the reasons I explained above.
          Obviously, ppa or repository can always be available, but it is quite different for a thousand reasons, not least having a minimum of openQA.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Well, it's a nit. But compressed tar and zip are two different things. Tar (effectively) creates the archive, then compresses it so it's compression algorithm(s) can act on common blocks shared by different files. Zip compresses each individual file as it builds the archive, so you can extract single files faster from a large zip archive than you can from compressed tar.

But you still have a point: zip allows different compression levels, but it's DEFLATE algorithm (shared by gzip) is pretty much fixed. Tar gives you a wide choice, and xz is a good modern one.

At the end of the day, zip affords a reasonable archive algorithm shareable by a wide range of OS. So I don't knock it (much).
            I don't disagree with that assessment either; though I do find it a bit laughable on Microsoft's part that on Windows they don't include support for things like XZ that are considered standard on most Linux distributions. I suppose that's also a good thing because Windows would be a lot more of a go-to system if its basic binaries included stuff like the Arch core repo or what comes with an Ubuntu minimal install.

Kind of funny from a nerd perspective, but you call XZ a good modern one while I've recently retired XZ for personal use and have switched to Zstd. If I need XZ's slightly better compression, Zstd's XZ mode does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

A backports repository already exists, however it cannot be the default, for the reasons I explained above.
              Obviously, ppa or repository can always be available, but it is quite different for a thousand reasons, not least having a minimum of openQA.
              It exists, but it carries KDE 5.12 and no Qt...

Comment

How can this thing even have so many bugs, when it's written in C++, that is supposed to keep you safe from stupid errors and with all their programming talent ?

Moreover, why does it have to change so much between minor versions so that many packages fail to compile ?
                Also, how is one supposed to work with packages that need different Qt minor versions ?

Last edited by Brane215; 11 September 2020, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  How can this thing even have so many bugs, when it's written in C++, that is supposed to keep you safe from stupid errors
                  Best joke I have read in quite a long time

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    Best joke I have read in quite a long time
                    I thought Qt was the best joke. Library done in a proper OO language by experts that know their shit and are always on the course.
                    With a class hierarchy so neatly ordered, one can always be current on object and method relations - who inherited what from whom, why, who is friend with whom, are they really friends or is it just about pure fucking, how often etc.

C++ is great tool for that & shit.

Comment

Working...
                    X