Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ships 20.08 Application Updates

Phoronix: KDE Ships 20.08 Application Updates

KDE has shipped their latest collection of applications with newest feature updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This update so fixes an issue related to slow copy speeds to and from Samba shares in Dolphin.

Last edited by Random_Jerk; 13 August 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
      This update so fixes an issue related to slow copy speeds to and from Samba shares in Dolphin.
      Do you know if we can finally watch movies from one computer on another in "streaming" mode" instead of "copying-first" mode ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Do you know if we can finally watch movies from one computer on another in "streaming" mode" instead of "copying-first" mode ?
        In KDE on mounted smb share you can't right click and open a video with e.g. mpv, only KIO capable programs can stream the data, it's one of many dumb KDE designs, it's like, since we're KDE lets reinvent gvfs, and what's the purpose of Elisa, yet another ****** music player fragmenting the ecosystem. I always compared KDE to being a glorified unit testing framework for Qt, it is still far from usable daily DE, I hate it but I use it anyway.
        Last edited by hax0r; 13 August 2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

As others have said, it depends on KIO related stuff, but the numbers seems to have improved so much that its feasible, if they wanted to.

Edit: The comment from the person who did the fix seems to suggest that KIO doesn't cause the bottleneck here.

Last edited by Random_Jerk; 13 August 2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

You should be able to with kio-fuse (dolphin>=20.04 required), although I've not used it yet.

Comment

I don't like the KDE desktop but I like many of it's apps
              Last edited by Fanboy80; 13 August 2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                In KDE on mounted smb share you can't right click and open a video with e.g. mpv, only KIO capable programs can stream the data, it's one of many dumb KDE designs,
                In the case of smb, you are using it wrong. For smb, KIO is apowerful convenience tool for easily be able to work with smb's. But is is not the correct way to handle remote shares, mount them with samba like they are supposed to be used. But it's actually a quite nice showcase of the flexibility and power of the KIO design.

And not working in mvp, that is an mvp issue not a KDE issue. Nothing prevents mvp to implement support for KIO slaves.

Iit's like, since we're KDE lets reinvent gvfs,
                You know KIO predates gvfs with 5 years or so, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

You should be able to with kio-fuse (dolphin>=20.04 required), although I've not used it yet.
                  That's what I've heard in one of Nate's posts.
                  Hopefully it will work and the samba share speed improvements might help when trying to watch large movie files like the 4K ones.

Comment

In KDE on mounted smb share you can't right click and open a video with e.g. mpv, only KIO capable programs can stream the data, it's one of many dumb KDE designs, it's like, since we're KDE lets reinvent gvfs, and what's the purpose of Elisa, yet another ****** music player fragmenting the ecosystem. I always compared KDE to being a glorified unit testing framework for Qt, it is still far from usable daily DE, I hate it but I use it anyway.
                    I am curios why you still use KDE then?

I have to say personally its all I use on Linux as I cant handle the severe pain points of GNOME. I find KDE today to be far more friendly to use than windows 10 in fact. I still have to dual boot for work with windows 10 so I am stuck in the twilight between the two systems... I do agree though with the severe fragmentation of the ecosystem, but that is a founding tenant of Linux. If I could do my tensorflow/CUDA work on FreeBSD I think I would try that, but alas not.

Comment

Working...
                    X