No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.20 To Bring Working Screen Recording / Screencasting On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.20 To Bring Working Screen Recording / Screencasting On Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.20 To Bring Working Screen Recording / Screencasting On Wayland

KDE Plasma 5.20 is bringing an important feature in further closing the gap between Wayland and X11 feature parity... Finally there will be working screen recording and screencasting on Wayland for compatible applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been using Plasma on wayland for a long time and although some things are still missing, it works quite well. I am happy to see that work continues.

Comment

Screen sharing via WebRTC might keep me on X11 :/

Comment

Yay :-) Screen recording and clipboard fixes are another important step. I hope that the virtual keyboard works soon again on Plasma Wayland.

Comment

Nice to see these improvements. I haven't used KDE in quite a while, but I might have to check this out. I use screen and window recording from time to time, and the performance on Gnome Wayland is hot garbage vs. X11.

Comment

That Discover fix is very welcome. Very annoying issue on my hacked-together Neon setup. Especially so because I upgraded to an SSD last week and Discover and Steam are two programs that I sit and wonder WTF is taking so long.

Unrelated to KDE, but I think y'all will get a kick -- when I upgraded to that SSD, a few days later my 2nd 4TB HDD arrived for my ZFS mirror. Plugged it in an everything went to shit. Unplugged it and everything worked just fine. That's when I decided to RTFM and found out that my motherboard is limited to 3 SATA drives or 4 SAS drives and 6TB. WTF, Really? REALLY???

So do y'all remember a few months back where I was taking about how I had two HDDs that started acting wonky out of nowhere? It was because I plugged my first 4TB drive into my system and that put me over both the 6TB and 3 SATA limits. Unplugging my two HDDs brought me back down to two disks, 6TB, and plugging one back in would make stuff act weird so I thought it was the drives, but I think it was a combination of HDDs and the 6TB limit, but I dunno because the 6TB limit is iffy on how or when it'll kick in because:

Now I'm rocking a 480GB SSD for root and a 4TB ZFS Mirror with my games and whatnot. Contrary to before, my system is working just fine with a technical 8.4TB worth of drives installed...only now I have to disconnect my ZFS drives and connect my Windows drive in order to dual boot. Fsck me running.

Feel free to point and laugh. I deserve it for not reading the manual. You see 4 SATA ports so you think your system supports 4 SATA drives. That's what I get for thinking.

Comment

Nice to see that the thread was cleaned up. The same should be done to the rest of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                Nice to see that the thread was cleaned up. The same should be done to the rest of the forum.
                True!
                Last edited by Nth_man; 25 July 2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

what wayland is messing to replace x11 ?

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                    Screen sharing via WebRTC might keep me on X11 :/
                    Same. I need app screen sharing working in Google Chrome for work and that's why I am tied to X11 like forever. AFAIK only full screen sharing works now through PipeWire and I don't know if that works on KDE at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X