Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Document Foundation Officially Drops Branding For LibreOffice 7.0 "Personal Edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Document Foundation Officially Drops Branding For LibreOffice 7.0 "Personal Edition"

Phoronix: The Document Foundation Officially Drops Branding For LibreOffice 7.0 "Personal Edition"

Surprising many in the open-source community in recent weeks was the LibreOffice 7.0 release candidate branded as a "Personal Edition". While still being free/open-source software and no licensing change, the traditional LibreOffice build was going to be marketed as "Personal Edition" to differentiate from other stakeholders that may market their professional/enterprise services around this cross-platform, open-source office suite. Those Personal Edition plans are now officially being reverted from next month's LibreOffice 7.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just call it "Community Edition" and move on.

Comment

Funny ... isn't that how all that started? We had StarOffice and then OpenOffice. Hence the name. One was the closed source enterprise product, the other one the open source one. Going in circles

Comment

NextOffice

Comment

Good. LibreOffice should be free for everyone inside or outside of a corporate environment.

Comment

who cares about the name?

Comment

is it really only marketing - as in "buy me, because i give you a good and cosy feeling, because i know you and i know what you need and you deserve only the best"? Or is it supposed to have some other effects too? Like, whats the situation? Are they short on cash or is someone trying to milk the project for money? Can they even generate profits? Do they not have tax exemptions and such... ?

Comment

Good!
                I'm happy with no branding on the normal edition.
                But if needed, just put the branding like "Enterprise" or "Premium" on the paid version only.
                Corporations and companies will be proud and happy to get that branding when the spend their money.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  NextOffice
                  Except the next office appears to be @home

Comment

how dare they went to earn money to continue developing software and pay for the server cost
                    lets boycotting them to learning them a lesson

Comment

Working...
                    X