Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-End Lightworks Video Editor Finally Says Why They Didn't Go Open-Source Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I prefer free-software and opensource code, at least these companies that handle with Linux might do some effort to wrap their binary blobs into a flatpak package so we don't to install their software as root...

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      I can understand the middleware issue, but it really doesn't matter if all of it isn't pretty. They would likely find that the community would be willing to help with various cleanups. It might also be possible to release it in a form where it has broken dependencies and let the community help with finding alternatives that could at least be used in the OSS version. Just a thought
      That approach made OpenOffice/LibreOffice the dominant FOSS office suite. OK, the source code is still a huge garbage pile but good enough to compile.

Comment

Yeah I'm in the camp that doesn't understand what they have to gain by going open source. How would they sustain their business model?
        Also, I've heard that LWKS usage in major studios has peaked and is on the decline.
        IF they open source their code why would anyone pay for it? I mean, I guess they could do the Reaper model where it's free until you want to sell what you've made with it. I believe that's how Reaper works, I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by drownthepoor View Post
          Yeah I'm in the camp that doesn't understand what they have to gain by going open source. How would they sustain their business model?
          Also, I've heard that LWKS usage in major studios has peaked and is on the decline.
          IF they open source their code why would anyone pay for it? I mean, I guess they could do the Reaper model where it's free until you want to sell what you've made with it. I believe that's how Reaper works, I could be wrong.
          I thought their plan was to go Open Core, holding back plugins which big customers need, but which are too niche for enthusiast-written plugins to be likely to successfully compete with.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I thought their plan was to go Open Core, holding back plugins which big customers need, but which are too niche for enthusiast-written plugins to be likely to successfully compete with.
            That sort of makes sense, but I still don't see the incentive for LWKS by having an Open Core. I'm assuming you're referring to LWKS Open Core and not Reaper right?

Comment

Originally posted by drownthepoor View Post
              That sort of makes sense, but I still don't see the incentive for LWKS by having an Open Core. I'm assuming you're referring to LWKS Open Core and not Reaper right?
              Yeah. It's been a long time, so I don't remember where I read that though. Possibly an old Phoronix article.

Comment

Working...
              X