Early Work On KDE Frameworks 6 Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    bug77 Of course I know what an upstream is Let me ask you this question “Can you contribute GPL code to Qt upstream?” Please answer with Yes or No.
    Yes.
    Stop it.

Comment

[USER="23314"]Let me ask you this question “Can you contribute GPL code to Qt upstream?” Please answer with Yes or No.
      To show that he has no clue, let us ask him this question "Can you contribute GPL code to GTK upstream?” Please answer with Yes or No.

Specified, as a part og the toolkit code poper, not as a tool to use when developing with said toolkit. Obviusly, since that would not be an issue.
      Last edited by Morty; 14 July 2020, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Nth_man If Qt was truly Free then KDE wouldn’t ask for this sketchy deal anyway. Both the CLA and KDE Qt free foundation should go away.
        No. You, Alexmitter and the rest of Your Clan should go away.
        This is not your territory.

Stay on your GNOME land and leave us in Peace already.

Comment

[USER="96747"] You can contribute LGPL code to GTK.
          So the answer is no then, you can not contribute GPL code to GTK either!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The crusade! The crusade!!!
            Keep defending and protecting KDE from being killed by 144Hz!
            hahaha I don't think he's going to do any harm to Kde or any good to Gnome. We're just killing time

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              I get it, you don't like GTK. Thats ok, there are other nice toolkits that are also well suited for cross platform usage.

No you are not. At least not technically because that of course would grant you rights to the code you wrote and that would be horrible for greedy companies.
              The moment you commit GPL/LGPL code, it gets a custom license for this special commit purpose, you give away your rights to the code and grant the Qt company to re-license how they feel like, something the GPL does not allow, all authors have to be asked. Thats how the greedy CLA works.
              I was a KDE app developer back in the 2.0 days and a KDE user since pre 1.0. I can't believe we are still having this discussion, or maybe I'm just grumpy today...

<grumpy>If you think that any company that has/uses a model where they have to actually make money on their software is a 'greedy' company then stick to GTK. But if you want to be consistent then I'd expect to never see you using or developing against any software that isn't some kind of OSS licensed.

The reality is that specialty software companies need to make money to pay employees and return value to investors. You know, the people employed at those companies need to feed their families and be rewarded for the value they deliver. Not everyone can work for a big rich company that throws off side projects as 100% open source software that is of non-value to their core business. Qt has actually made their core business open source for everyone else to use and that is as big and reasonable a step as you can expect anyone to make. The dual licensing arrangement is more than fair.

If you don't like that or you find that distasteful, there are a couple small countries in the caribbean, south america and somewhere north of south korea that will probably fit your world view better.</grumpy>

Comment

Originally posted by KrissN View Post

Running a project like Qt costs and it's not cheap. Releasing in dual (proprietary & GPL) mode allows Qt to earn their share to run the project, while still allowing it to be used in FOSS projects. This effectively is a joint-venture: The community agrees to transfer their rights to any contributed code, while Qt releases (for free) the product of development done by full-time employed developers.
                Exactly, and whatever you develop is going to get returned back to you anyways as GPL software. Which IMO is the best, and only truly guaranteed perpetually free, open source license.

Comment

Alexmitter Worst part is when you are helpful and remind them how upstreams work and how CLAs work then they usually go 100% torches& pitchforks.
                  I feel for you. It's almost like you're not helpful at all. Just annoying. Right?
                  Or it's like you're just smarter than anyone else, in which case I will let a physchiatrist chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    In the days of Electron, popularity and better lay far far way from each other.

Try to upstream some GPL code to Qt.
                    Try upstreamding GPL code to GNOME libraries... Wow, they won't accept it as GPL isn't suitable for LGPL libraries?

I am continually amazed by the shear stupidity of the trolls there.

Comment

At least we now have a list of the new puppet troll accounts.

Comment

Working...
                      X