No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.37.3 Are Out Roaring With Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tildearrow This dates back to when Qt was proprietary and GNOME/GTK were the free software alternative to it. Many companies over the years contributed a large amount of code to make GNOME usable under certain circumstances (e.g. Sun did the whole accessibility thing). I haven't seen any of those efforts towards KDE/Qt except for OpenSUSE (and only to a limited extent).
    Last edited by angrypie; 09 July 2020, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
      tildearrow This dates back to when Qt was proprietary and GNOME/GTK were the free software alternative to it. Many companies over the years contributed a large amount of code to make GNOME usable under certain circumstances....
      ....and then GNOME 3 came and "usability" went away entirely.

(I do agree KDE still has some problems regarding accessibility)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

....and then GNOME 3 came and "usability" went away entirely.

(I do agree KDE still has some problems regarding accessibility)
        Yeah, although there might be other issues under the hood.

Enterprise is very stubborn about changing stuff. Even if or when KDE catches up with their taste, it will take a long time before it's adopted the same way GNOME is today. It might be a catch-22 actually.

Comment

Hello I will keep my rant to a minimum.
          I tested Gnome in the Fedora 32 incarnation a while ago on a modern i.e. 10-year-old laptop, underpowered but with 4GB RAM, quiet and a real HDD. The performance was nice and icon design decent, both as expected.
          What killed it is you need to travel to the far-left top corner for everything and forth, esp. on 1366x768, and on a 2010 touchpad that sucks balls.

Not worth training my friend to use it.

Bonus complaint : not only the application grid should take lessons from Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1, it fails to do its only job, displaying the names of applications properly. Things like "LibreOffice W..." despite this being a flagship program installed by default and having the entire screen to show this.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
            What killed it is you need to travel to the far-left top corner for everything and forth, esp. on 1366x768, and on a 2010 touchpad that sucks balls.
            You are literally the best example period of this stubborn person I referred to. Unbelievable, so you have device with a touchpad that "sucks balls" still you refuse to press the super key and use the again in your words "sucks balls" touchpad and then whine about the startmenu area being slightly further away than in other desktops.

While every person with a IQ higher than their body temperature would try to use the thing that "sucks balls" as little as possible and just press the "super key" instead, and then instead of using the grid menu just type 2 3 letters of the program name you want to use and press enter.

I am buffeled I see people buy literally 1000-3000 dollar laptops that have yes great displays but horrible keyboards and touchpads, I guess we are declining slowly into idiocracy.

But even if you want to be totally illogical and for no good reason not use the better solution the keyboard you can with 2 3 clicks install a launcher and the problem is solved, but instead just write for 10 hours on 100 websites a rant comment and make gnome your death enemy why easy when you can hate something, that is way more fun, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              tildearrow Calm down would you? I’m not forcing or policing anything. Look in the mirror would you? YOU edit people’s posts, YOU use every possible thread to advance your desperate, personal crusade against me.
              Oh so you think I started it all? Really?

I am done. I told you one more "calm down" and I was going insane.
              I have not edited any of your posts in a while.

Anyway I personally don’t use extensions on Fedora. Of course I use all the cool stuff that Ubuntu devs upstreamed to shell, mutter and the default theme. So your assumption that everyone used extensions are just wrong.

Did you know that Ubuntu isn't stock GNOME Shell but it is GNOME Shell with some bundled extensions to make it better?? (by the way Dash to Dock isn't built-in ok?)

Would I like to use more extensions and play around with cool stuff? Likely yes. Problem is that I don’t trust devs without merits who use github. Why are people doing this when GNOME can host it On their Gitlab and provide a much better CI like this?
              https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...ope=all&page=1
              *sighs* Wow, wow, wow.

Have Fun.

Yeah, that's me using GNOME, trying to get an extension from the OFFICIAL website.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 15 November 2020, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Wow that's an involved reply you make there, anyway keys break on keyboard laptops all the time so the mouse use case is important, and the inferior chiclet design means you can't just pop the keyboard out with a knife like you could on 00s laptops.

Although, this laptop had a working keyboard.
                Note that I was not the laptop owner. Should I go around and lecture people about the Windows key? It's hard enough to move them from Windows 7.
                Moreover I was trying to switch between like four windows, not launching applications.

I can launch applications with alt-f2 on most desktops (win+r on Windows), or from the terminal, or from the file manager (remember *document centric* ?) so I never gave too much a shit about that Vista feature of searching for applications with the Win key.
                Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                I am buffeled I see people buy literally 1000-3000 dollar laptops that have yes great displays but horrible keyboards and touchpads, I guess we are declining slowly into idiocracy.

But even if you want to be totally illogical and for no good reason not use the better solution the keyboard you can with 2 3 clicks install a launcher and the problem is solved, but instead just write for 10 hours on 100 websites a rant comment and make gnome your death enemy why easy when you can hate something, that is way more fun, right?
                How can I hate it? I'm using it for five minutes every five years. Will try Gnome 4.2.
                If I'm installing something on a computer in that state, that's LXDE. Worked fine with Unity or Cinnamon (when 80% CPU for moving a window was not desirable)

Touchpads got very good in the last few years, they can repurpose dirt cheap physical smartphone tech, albeit they're made to work with the Windows driver so they're still not good enough depending on hardware and distro/version.
                Last edited by grok; 10 July 2020, 01:37 AM.

Comment

tildearrow It’s great you stopped policing that much. Congratulations.

Yeah Ubuntu chose to use the extensions FEATURE and theming FEATURE to add a bit of differentiation. Naturally distributions want to do this. By the way Canonical sponsored much of work to get the proper session support going. Great work by those guys!
                  A bit? More like a lot, 'cuz only they got GNOME kind of fixed.

The extensions page works here. So it’s a problem on your side.
                  It should be working now. Maybe their servers went down for a bit.

Comment

This is way too much to assume from a four-line post. Please refrain from projecting your own flaws on me next time.
                    If that's all you got for arguments... I won't go down that road. There's no solid ground there.

Baby duck syndrome is a hell of an ideology apparently. I wonder how you'd feel if you had to write your own programs to use a computer, like in the old days.
                    I started with DOS then Windows 3.11, and am now using Gnome Shell and Budgie. Please tell me where the similarities are. I have adapted to many DEs in between, your point is moot once again. Please don't use expressions you can't make use of.

How is it not customizable? You're using 18 extensions on it.
                    It's extendable. Not customizable. Customization is what you can do without the need for extensions.
                    May I remind you there is litterally nowhere in Gnome by default pointing to where and how you get/install extensions. If you don't read on the subject by yourself, you won't know. By default, you can't theme, you can't have desktop icons (which I don't use, but it's still a must have in any DE), you can't get rid of that idiotic central position for the clock, you can't get the dock to stick, you don't get a system tray or app indicators, you can't change that stupid "Activities" word. You can't have a top bar on each screen. All trivial things. List is non exhaustive, I'm at work, it's just off the top of my head.
                    Gnome Tweaks has never been a dependency and this issue has been highlighted by the upgrade to 3.36 for which Gnome-shell-extensions-prefs is a requirement (but not a dependency, really dumb). After upgrade to 3.36, everyone thought their extensions configuration app was broken and many bugs were reported. Because the Gnome devs are so much in their own bunker they don't deem necessary to notify the user of such important changes. Our eternal omniscience should make us aware of it at any moment in time, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

You are literally the best example period of this stubborn person I referred to. Unbelievable, so you have device with a touchpad that "sucks balls" still you refuse to press the super key and use the again in your words "sucks balls" touchpad and then whine about the startmenu area being slightly further away than in other desktops.

While every person with a IQ higher than their body temperature would try to use the thing that "sucks balls" as little as possible and just press the "super key" instead, and then instead of using the grid menu just type 2 3 letters of the program name you want to use and press enter.
                      The arrogance of those cultists have no limits.

Touchpads are really nice these days by the way (except on Thinkpads). And docks solve these issues entirely.
                      Faster any day of the week to change the focused app through a movement towards the icon dock we have defined visibility over, than run the Super key, look for and find the wanted window (it can have moved to a different place since you last had it focused).
                      Alt-tab also requires to find the window back (with many potential tab hits, and if you just did one too many, you start over).

Also, not everyone is a statue with both hands hovering above the keyboard at any point in time. I personnally fold my left arm back close to me everytime I'm done with typing, and the right hand is on the mouse (or touchpad if laptop). During the (reaction) time I need to bring my left arm back to the keyboard, I'm already done with the mouse action. I'm very happy these shortcuts work for you, but stop assuming that if it works for you it works for everyone.

Your assumption that keyboard shortcuts are faster has no solid ground. Might be as much as might not be. And linking personal preferences and workflows to IQ is the killer. Utmost arrogance.
                      Last edited by Mez'; 10 July 2020, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X