Firefox 77 Released With Security Fixes, AV1 Image File Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Will this make hardware video decode under X more realistic?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Hopefully someone will implement it as there are much more Linux users on Xorg than Wayland at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by yigitates View Post
      Still no WebRender for us. Splendid.
      I’m using WebRender for a year now with AMDGPU with the stable Firefox releases, no issues over the older OpenGL compositing. You just have to enable it in about:config: "gfx.webrender.enabled" → true. "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" should be set to true too.

Comment

Also in the news Thunderbird 77 beta has a terrible new theme, nice for the minority that are color blind but not the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Firefox have gotten some really nice developer tools improvements lately.

Still things I miss in Firefox:
          • Dialog element
          • system-ui value for font-family
          • Private instance variables in classes
          • Web apps (Chrome have an apps tab)
          Are web apps like a former prism extension to make "desktop apps" of webpages?

Comment

And now FTP is disabled by default. I find it hard to understand considering that HTTP is very much alive.

Comment

So is it confirmed that AVIF is royalty free (I mean the container format, not the image format).

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

I’m using WebRender for a year now with AMDGPU with the stable Firefox releases, no issues over the older OpenGL compositing. You just have to enable it in about:config: "gfx.webrender.enabled" → true. "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" should be set to true too.
                I just enabled it on an old i7 2600K with an obsolete HD5770 (radeon DRM driver, r600g mesa w/GLAMOR) that I use as my HTPC. Before that, I used the OpenGL compositor.

Seems to work well enough.
                Last edited by ermo; 03 June 2020, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Firefox have gotten some really nice developer tools improvements lately.

Still things I miss in Firefox:
                  • Dialog element
                  • system-ui value for font-family
                  • Private instance variables in classes
                  • Web apps (Chrome have an apps tab)
                  Dialog will be mostly unusable for quite some more years, since it's no supported in Safari or IE or non-chrome based Edge Browsers. All of these are still a thing (I wish this wasn't the case)... See https://caniuse.com/#feat=dialog

system-ui styled Fonts are also more a thing for electron like apps. If you're designing websites you do want them to look similar on all devices, that's why webfonts were created. Before that fonts in browsers have been a mess due to using system fonts that looked different on every device harming layouts and design.

Private instance variables in classes are a relatively recent idea in ECMA Script. Those might happen and fulfill some needs, agree.

Web apps in chrome do seem quite useless to me. I never found any usecase for those. Any app i'd liked to have was put into an electron app running outside of the browser.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  And now FTP is disabled by default. I find it hard to understand considering that HTTP is very much alive.
                  What's the context here?

Browsers have been very limited FTP clients since years, they only supported downloading stuff. from servers. FTP isn't really any more efficient than HTTP today, has lots of design flaws (like "active" FTP connections), no clear standard for encrypted connections,...

By the way: AMD does cheat a lot less concerning CPU TDPs, the delta to reality is much smaller

Comment

any news on FF ditching Python2?
                    afaik - tumbleweed still maintains bits of Python2 for Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      Is it much more important than hw video decoding on X?
                      Sure, who cares about dead technology? It works great under Wayland, which is the default on the major distros these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X