Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Adds Bit To Launcher Files For Indicating Apps That Should Run On Discrete GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Ugh, why isn't this a FreeDesktop standard?...
    FreeDesktop isn't a standards organization really. It literally is part of the freedesktop desktop spec however and it is referenced from the blog post

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

FreeDesktop isn't a standards organization really. It literally is part of the freedesktop desktop spec however and it is referenced from the blog post

https://specifications.freedesktop.o...ecognized-keys
      How competent people do they have? How this name got past reviews to the spec? NonDefault could mean anything, as default might vary heavily,..

Comment

Originally posted by kparal View Post
        Most desktops have a default powerful GPU and a non-default slow GPU (iGPU for Intel CPUs). I wonder whether games or blender will now execute on our Intel cards by default...

Really, it should have been PreferPowerfulGPU=true/false, because that's why the implementation really does, according to the blogpost. Or even better, PreferGPU=high-performance/low-energy/none. "PrefersNonDefaultGPU" seem to be a very confusing name indeed.
        I think that yes, it will then run on the slower gpu. Hence why the suggested names don't make sense, and this one does.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
          What a horrible name? What it means non-default? More reasonable name would be "prefer high performance gpu".
          Isn't half of Linux/Open Source activity about choosing wacky or stupid names?

Comment

That option doesn't guarantee that the software is using the non-default GPU even if it's set to true. I bet it's just ignored on computers that don't need it, i.e. on computers that use the more powerful graphics by default.
            Last edited by Tomin; 05 May 2020, 01:27 AM. Reason: just clarified a bit

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Ugh, why isn't this a FreeDesktop standard?...
              I'm quoting FreeDesktop above

Comment

Most desktops have a default powerful GPU and a non-default slow GPU (iGPU for Intel CPUs).
                Isn't the integrated GPU disabled in BIOS/EFI most of the time anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Isn't the integrated GPU disabled in BIOS/EFI most of the time anyway?
                  Mine wasn't, out of the box. The dedicated GPU was just set as the default one in UEFI.

Comment

Mine wasn't, out of the box. The dedicated GPU was just set as the default one in UEFI.
                    Same here.

Comment

Whats the purpose of using the iGPU at all in a desktop if X is gonna be running in the dGPU? Serious question. I run it the other way around, iGPU handles my desktop, monitors, etc. and games and CUDA go to the dGPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X