Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlightenment 0.24 Alpha Released For This X11 Window Manager / Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    nope, not really. Mostly gfx bling bling without too much usability.
    It could be worse. You could be using GNOME *cringe*, an extremely overrated DE. Too minimalistic to the point of being unusable.

Comment

Just because a bunch of lines of code got shared with other projects, doesn't mean Enlightenment itself takes the credit.

Sure, I wrote 50 lines of code that got accepted into the kernel, does that mean I get credit for billions of devices? I think not.

Lets be honest, Enlightenment acts as a warning for projects that have too few developers and releases a new version every blue moon with too few features... you end up a fossil of your preserved dead remains in the history of software. Eventually even your own users forget about you.

Originally posted by raster View Post
      Well. Something like half a billion systems out there that run it out of the box disagree. What lack of development? The development made it work better than anything else on embedded devices with OpengGL-ES support and good Arm support long before everyone else. More features for less footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        Just because a bunch of lines of code got shared with other projects, doesn't mean Enlightenment itself takes the credit.

Sure, I wrote 50 lines of code that got accepted into the kernel, does that mean I get credit for billions of devices? I think not.

Lets be honest, Enlightenment acts as a warning for projects that have too few developers and releases a new version every blue moon with too few features... you end up a fossil of your preserved dead remains in the history of software. Eventually even your own users forget about you.
        Enlightenment has about the same featureset that Gnome does out of the box. I've sat down and tried to use Gnome and missed lots of features that E has and struggled to use it. Gnome also has some features E doesn't. Give or take they are about the same. Or XFCE for that matter. So I fail to see how your statement has any truth to it.

Unlike your 50 lines of code example, Enlightenment is the Window Manager and compositor and the toolkit for applications etc. - That's over a million lines of code at the core, not 50. It kind of shows that you are pretty unfamiliar with it and are going to make statements without actually looking, so I guess it's pointless to point you to take a look to perhaps change your mind because it's made up irrespective of reality.

Comment

I used Enlightenment decades ago. It was very pretty, but ultimately buggy and not so usable, especially with the underpowered hardware we had back in those days. I wouldn't mind giving it another try, hopefully by now it's much improved and highly usable. What's the easiest way to get to try it out on my Raspberry Pi 4? I'm currently using Raspbian (Buster). I don't really love the default LXDE environment -- it's feels too barebones and minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
            I used Enlightenment decades ago. It was very pretty, but ultimately buggy and not so usable, especially with the underpowered hardware we had back in those days. I wouldn't mind giving it another try, hopefully by now it's much improved and highly usable. What's the easiest way to get to try it out on my Raspberry Pi 4? I'm currently using Raspbian (Buster). I don't really love the default LXDE environment -- it's feels too barebones and minimal.
            IMHO E packaged by Debian is pretty ancient. It is one of the worst ways to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
              Well debian - can't help other than try the packages, but beware they may be older. You'll have to check. The other option is to compile it... or... if you're willing to try arch Linux images:

https://www.enlightenment.org/news/2...ightenment-rpi

I rebuilt them last week. Be advised - they boot right into Wayland mode, not X11. You could install a full Xorg and use them in X too if you wanted. It won't have the latest alpha yet, but it'll be close. If you use Arch Linux, the efl-git and enlightenment-git AUR packages will be cleanly built and nice and up to date (I maintain those).

Comment

E20 to E21 were buggy and trouble some. the last 2 years I was happy with it. Ran on RPI1. It has been the only good WM running over arm32 arm64 x86_64 mips on a shared /home on more than 32 nodes often sessions opened at the same time... All my other WM had issues. Also supported well multiscreen 2x2 or 3x2.

Comment

You are talking about the EFL, which is a library that is being used by Samsung on some of their devices. That gives you an idea of how Enlightenment failed as a window manager and why it acts as a warning to other projects.

Originally posted by raster View Post
                  Enlightenment has about the same featureset that Gnome does out of the box. I've sat down and tried to use Gnome and missed lots of features that E has and struggled to use it. Gnome also has some features E doesn't. Give or take they are about the same. Or XFCE for that matter. So I fail to see how your statement has any truth to it.

Unlike your 50 lines of code example, Enlightenment is the Window Manager and compositor and the toolkit for applications etc. - That's over a million lines of code at the core, not 50. It kind of shows that you are pretty unfamiliar with it and are going to make statements without actually looking, so I guess it's pointless to point you to take a look to perhaps change your mind because it's made up irrespective of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                    You are talking about the EFL, which is a library that is being used by Samsung on some of their devices. That gives you an idea of how Enlightenment failed as a window manager and why it acts as a warning to other projects.

I think you didn't write your ideas correctly.

EFL/E isn't a failure IMHO, because it gained an important niche in the embedded world as by being used by Samsung and others.

I see the project didn't gain enough traction in the desktop world, that's right.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                      Most underrated DE?
                      It is actually my favorite DE but I had to move away from it due to it being in a perpetual alpha state, and the problems associated with that.

Also enlightenment 16 and enlightenment 17+ are entirely different DEs.

Comment

Working...
                      X