Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinity Desktop Turns 10 Years Old As A Fork Of KDE 3.5 - Celebrates With New Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Desktop Turns 10 Years Old As A Fork Of KDE 3.5 - Celebrates With New Release

Phoronix: Trinity Desktop Turns 10 Years Old As A Fork Of KDE 3.5 - Celebrates With New Release

The Trinity Desktop Environment is marking its tenth anniversary with a new release of this desktop forked from the KDE 3.5 code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking at those screenshots is like a blast from the past! Wow.

Comment

Does someone really use it on a daily basis (except Trinity developers) ? Because well, it's true that before KDE 4.2 the 4.x branch sucked but it is no longer the case, and the 5.x branch has been perfectly stable since 2018.

Basically between the moment a new major KDE release is announced and the moment it becomes useable wait 2-3 years.

Comment

I'd like Trinity to stop doing whatever they are doing now and
        • Migrate from Qt3 to Qt5/6 (which a mammoth task but has a ton of benefits)
        • Throw away artsd which has long become unnecessary
        • Add native Wayland support
        • Throw away KHTML and replace it with something supported and modern, e.g. QtWebKit
        • Rewrite Kicker (in its original form it's a hack on top of a hack)
        That would be the best Linux DE ever: fast, classic, clear, extremely easy to use, highly customizable.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
          Does someone really use it on a daily basis (except Trinity developers) ?
          Because of KDE's deal-breaking refusal to fully support xrandr features I need (see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415876), I've reverted to TDE and am very happy with it. And I'm an environmental-supercomputing developer,not a TDE developer.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            I'd like Trinity to stop doing whatever they are doing now and
            • Migrate from Qt3 to Qt5/6 (which a mammoth task but has a ton of benefits)
            • Throw away artsd which has long become unnecessary
            • Add native Wayland support
            • Throw away KHTML and replace it with something supported and modern, e.g. QtWebKit
            • Rewrite Kicker (in its original form it's a hack on top of a hack)
            That would be the best Linux DE ever: fast, classic, clear, extremely easy to use, highly customizable.
            Would it not be just another LXQt then?

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
              Does someone really use it on a daily basis (except Trinity developers) ? Because well, it's true that before KDE 4.2 the 4.x branch sucked but it is no longer the case, and the 5.x branch has been perfectly stable since 2018.

Basically between the moment a new major KDE release is announced and the moment it becomes useable wait 2-3 years.
              I've used it for months until a few months ago. I really love TDE, but a couple of issues/problems forced me to leave it for the moment: the file manager randomly crashes while copying files, poor implementation of the xds protocol. It is the only real, free, usable alternative to the quasi-commercial DE.

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post

Would it not be just another LXQt then?
                In terms of features LXQt is still nowhere near KDE 3.5. And KDE3.5 is not just a DE, it's a suite of very powerful applications.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

In terms of features LXQt is still nowhere near KDE 3.5. And KDE3.5 is not just a DE, it's a suite of very powerful applications.
                  Kde2 was a little better than Kde3 (i'm not kidding).

Comment

I absolutely adored KDE 3.x way back when. Memories.

Comment

Working...
                    X