Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Preparing To Move To GNOME 3.36, Dropping Their Desktop Customizations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clear Linux Preparing To Move To GNOME 3.36, Dropping Their Desktop Customizations

    Phoronix: Clear Linux Preparing To Move To GNOME 3.36, Dropping Their Desktop Customizations

    With the somewhat surprising announcement this week that Intel's Clear Linux platform would be divesting from the desktop and focusing on server and cloud workloads, the first visible changes on the desktop side are expected next week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ME-3.36-Coming

  • #2
    Last time they announced dropping desktop support altogether, just a few days ago. Do they really have Gnome above anything else for servers? What exactly has a server admin to gain from Gnome being in the way and consuming resources? Does Intel not trust server admins to be able to manage a servers through the terminal?

    Comment


    • #3
      Same trend on most distributions these days.

      RHEL deprecated alternative desktops.
      CentOS drops alternative desktops.
      Fedora reduces testing on alternative desktops.
      Clear Linux drops alternative desktops.
      The SUSE Jump initiative will bring openSUSE Leap closer to SLED’s Desktop.

      Comment


      • #4
        I was actually surprised Clear Linux shipped with customizations in the first place, makes no sense for a "rolling distro".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Last time they announced dropping desktop support altogether, just a few days ago. Do they really have Gnome above anything else for servers? What exactly has a server admin to gain from Gnome being in the way and consuming resources? Does Intel not trust server admins to be able to manage a servers through the terminal?
          It's good to have at least one desktop environment for local installs for experimenting (virtual box). GNOME is good and polished DE, and not way too complex like KDE. For real servers, I doubt anybody would have any graphical interface installed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Same trend on most distributions these days.

            RHEL deprecated alternative desktops.
            CentOS drops alternative desktops.
            Fedora reduces testing on alternative desktops.
            Clear Linux drops alternative desktops.
            The SUSE Jump initiative will bring openSUSE Leap closer to SLED’s Desktop.
            Maybe, nobody is willing to maintain it? And, there isn't any gain in having tens of desktops available. In the end, user needs just one, so why so much alternatives?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Same trend on most distributions these days.

              RHEL deprecated alternative desktops.
              CentOS drops alternative desktops.
              Fedora reduces testing on alternative desktops.
              Clear Linux drops alternative desktops.
              The SUSE Jump initiative will bring openSUSE Leap closer to SLED’s Desktop.
              SUSE Jump is a very different thing, in reality it is only the will to continue a project already started years ago, to make Leap converge with SLE, everything must take place as declared without loss of functionality. No DE deprecated, Leap will continue to be what it is today but closer to SLE, with the same core and the same binary.

              Comment


              • #8
                Charlie68 Can we skip the marketing speak and look at the realities? SUSE sponsors openSUSE. The openSUSE Board just did a public meltdown. Clearly the sponsors are tired of these shenanigans. Jump is not about merging what should have been merged in 2019. It’s also about maximizing value for the sponsors. The sponsors don’t care about alternative desktops.

                Sure the Marketing speak is all about pleasing the vanity of self righteous, independent openSUSE devs and users. But the agenda is something different.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's just the case that Enterprise Linux doesn't give a care about the Linux desktop and GNOME is cheaper and easier to support.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Charlie68 Can we skip the marketing speak and look at the realities? SUSE sponsors openSUSE. The openSUSE Board just did a public meltdown. Clearly the sponsors are tired of these shenanigans. Jump is not about merging what should have been merged in 2019. It’s also about maximizing value for the sponsors. The sponsors don’t care about alternative desktops.

                    Sure the Marketing speak is all about pleasing the vanity of self righteous, independent openSUSE devs and users. But the agenda is something different.
                    You can think what you want, I talk about reality and what I know.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X