GNOME's UX Team Working On More 2020 Improvements To The Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    skeevy420 That’s distributionism failing on you right there. GNOME already provides an API. That’s the entire js code you can manipulate. Don’t like that? Then don’t touch it.
    Two or more different plugins that manipulate the dock, notification system, app menu, top bar, etc which then may or may not work with one another is a GNOME issue. A system that prompts when possibly incompatible plugins are installed and presents various mitigations is something that would be useful. Blame the user or distribution all you want, but, to put it bluntly, a Plugin System that doesn't tell the user "You're about to fuck yourself" is a problem of the Plugin System.

Ubuntu, Manjaro, and any other distribution that adds plugins that aren't compatible together is a distribution problem that would be less likely to occur if GNOME has what I'm trying to describe.

KDE and Discover isn't any better. They need the same thing too. We're, meaning random Linux users, a little more critical of GNOME because distributions and users of GNOME seem to be in need of plugins more than KDE users, but that doesn't mean KDE doesn't have this very same problem.

The Theme Engine is smart enough to not run two different themes at once. Why shouldn't the Plugin Engine by smart enough to not run two Dash Plugins at once?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Two or more different plugins that manipulate the dock, notification system, app menu, top bar, etc which then may or may not work with one another is a GNOME issue. A system that prompts when possibly incompatible plugins are installed and presents various mitigations is something that would be useful. Blame the user or distribution all you want, but, to put it bluntly, a Plugin System that doesn't tell the user "You're about to fuck yourself" is a problem of the Plugin System.
      Remember when Firefox migrated to WebExtensions and extensions lost 90% of their functionality? This is what's going to happen if GNOME enforces an API. IIRC they're actively against it exactly because it would hinder stuff like e.g., GSConnect. The extensions you install are your responsibility, because you choose to install them. The same goes for patch-happy distributions like Ubuntu and Manjaro. At least on Fedora you get a vanilla DE and do your own thing, and if there are bugs you know how you introduced them, and can fix them right away instead of waiting for another release (and more bugs).

I get the hate towards GNOME and the attitude of some devs, but I'm yet to see them deleting posts to hide user criticism (like Amarok 2.0 in the past and KMail now). I was so jarred by this I swore I would never use KDE again.

Comment

angrypie

To be fair to Mozilla, the organization gave at least two years of notices to migrate on WebExtension. Th e majority of loss of functionality for extensions are from those developers themselves unwilling to head start the transition

Comment

As much as i recognize great work done by Marco & Daniel it doesn't seem enough to push ubuntu desktop in any direction. Including following or discussing GNOME's current direction.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
            Beyond personal preferences, the reality is that once Fedora moved to gnome3, it lost almost all of its user base overnight.
            lol, are you implying majority of fedora user base was made of you?
            I've written about this before
            it was bullshit then and it is still bullshit now

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              They don't need to improve gnome. We already have Mate and XFCE. What's there to improve?
              and you already have your slackware 1.0, subj is for normal people

Comment

I can't say for others, but in my ultra-wide monitor, I always have multiple windows spaced around. Maximizing a single window on this monitor will blind me or make it unusable.
                you should consult with your doctor then, it wouldn't blind anyone else. nor make it unusable
                As I mentioned above, gnome3 looks like a good competitor to android
                i.e. for most popular gui platform in existence. then gnome3 does it right
                , but its not a real desktop for professional use. No desktop icons?
                no 4-color graphics from eighties?
                no real tool bars that I can view open apps?
                i'm not sure what you've done to your toolbars and why it prevents you from viewing apps
                no min/max buttons?
                i have min and max buttons. i have zero extensions.i never use min/max buttons though, it's simpler to interact with toolbar or use keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I don't know how I wasn't clear?

Ubuntu relies on Dash to Dock to create a crappy Unity-like experience.
                  If upstream GNOME removes the Dash (which isn't definite, but has been suggested), that makes Dash to Dock completely broken as it relies on the existing dash functionality.
                  What does Ubuntu do? They've unfortunately jacked another workflow onto GNOME Shell that they've made their users accustomed to.
                  I guess you meant a bearable experience from a crappy design. The Unity-like design is the best for many users out there, but your closed-mindedness will never admit that. Reading you is like seeing an ostrich with its head in its butt. You look like a goddamn "bobo" (those wealthy "supposedly" ecological aware people buried in their contradictory ideas, that want to impose their intolerance to anyone), you must be part of the dictatorship of the one-track thinking, denying any idea that doesn't fit into your narrow mind.

If there is no Dash-to-Dock, I'm out of Gnome and so will be half of its silent users. I have no use of that activities overview that slows down, hinders and constrains my workflow. I'm not using the app overview either. Basically what makes Gnome is completely irrelevant to me (and many others) if I want to do stuff fast and intuitively. Only extensions such as dash-to-dock, appindicators, unite, move clock and the likes can give me control on, or flexibility and snappiness to my workflow.

You're free to have your own workflow and be a little yes man everytime Gnome amateur designers wants to do you. But please respect others' that require something else. Some people actually know what they like or want and don't go along with everything others decide for them like submissive people.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 19 April 2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X