GNUstep Sees New 2020 Releases For This Apple Cocoa/OpenStep Re-Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Apple is already stepping back on pushing Swift forward so no, Swift is the one that will die.

Btw, regarding the theme: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I hadn't heard that Apple was stepping back. But even if they aren't, even if Apple is going forward with Swift, Swift is going to replace Objective-C about as rapidly as Kotlin replaces Java or Go replaces C++. By that I mean that even if it happens, the process will take many decades.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It doesn't support Wayland and the theme is shit ugly.

I think GNUstep is a desktop environment, kind of like GNOME and KDE but with a more macOS approach, but with very few apps and very ugly. It looks like something that is 25 year old.
      That doesn't mean it should not exist.

Hire some graphical artists for them then?
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

It doesn't support Wayland and the theme is shit ugly.

I think GNUstep is a desktop environment, kind of like GNOME and KDE but with a more macOS approach, but with very few apps and very ugly. It looks like something that is 25 year old.
        Looks beautiful to me. Almost as beautiful as CDE.

Comment

I like the terminal... real people edit word documents in raw xml with nano!

It looks like a neat hobby and I hope the Devs enjoy working on it... I highly doubt it will amount to much more than the Enlightenment environment (to anyone who knows that one... anyone here use it)?

Comment

I know that GNUstep is a clone of NeXTSTEP but it is butt ugly. Also, now Apple is moving away from Objective-C in favor of Swift.
            I don't know, maybe NeXTSTEP had some interesting ideas with their "kits" like Foundation Kit and Application Kit. Still GNUstep is butt ugly, maybe it would be cool if it looked pretty like macOS Catalina.
            If there were anything interesting about it there would have been actual development around this toolkit especially given its age (it is indeed ~25 years old) and the fact that macOS and iOS developers are forced to put up with it. Instead nobody wanted it and so it's a dead end that sees almost no development. In fact it is such a failure that GNU shifted focus to GTK when it was created 4 years later... I wonder why that could be? /s.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              I like the terminal...
              I remember back in early 2000 me with shiny new KDE 3.0 and Konsole, grepping through some command output, feeling all smug ... And a coworker with OpenSTEP, doing the same thing with terminal search function ...
              Needless to say I immediately opened a feature request bug with kde and it eventually got implemented some years later.
              So yes, don't laugh, there's a lot to like about openstep terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                I like the terminal... real people edit word documents in raw xml with nano!

It looks like a neat hobby and I hope the Devs enjoy working on it... I highly doubt it will amount to much more than the Enlightenment environment (to anyone who knows that one... anyone here use it)?
                I go back and run Enlightenment every once and a while. Last time was for a few days about two or three months ago from git on Manjaro. While I like it, it has just enough minor issues that I never stay very long. IMHO, their default settings are different enough from other environments that it can be a bit weird to use and I think that might turn some users away. They'd turn me away if I didn't like tweaking crap to try to make it my own.

I've always thought that if Enlightenment and the EFL had half the resources and manpower of KDE it would be a much, much better DE than it currently is and would be a real contender to take on KDE and GNOME.

I read this article yesterday and I think you'll get a kick out of this book writing setup.

Comment

skeevy420 Hey thanks for that article post, that is truly an impressive setup! Just this morning I got a macro built and hotkeyed to my Razer Naga Trinity that auto vertically splits my GNU screen session and starts a new session... I thought I was pretty cool ... this throws me into questioning that feeling

Comment

Let's be clear: thanks to GNUStep, we have OOLite, so I can only praise it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolite_(video_game)

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      XWayland is just another compositor really. This can be seen with the Xweston project. Xweston might end up just becoming the new Xorg.
                      So solution for Xorg limitations would be switching it to Xwayland? What would that improve compare to native Xorg?

Comment

Working...
                      X