No announcement yet.

GNUstep Sees New 2020 Releases For This Apple Cocoa/OpenStep Re-Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNUstep Sees New 2020 Releases For This Apple Cocoa/OpenStep Re-Implementation

Phoronix: GNUstep Sees New 2020 Releases For This Apple Cocoa/OpenStep Re-Implementation

It's been a while since last having any news to report on GNUstep, the free software re-implementation of the Apple Cocoa / OpenStep frameworks. But GNUstep is alive and well and today several of its components saw new releases -- among the feature work is improving its multi-monitor handling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It doesn't support Wayland and the theme is shit ugly.

I think GNUstep is a desktop environment, kind of like GNOME and KDE but with a more macOS approach, but with very few apps and very ugly. It looks like something that is 25 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I think GNUstep is a desktop environment, kind of like GNOME and KDE but with a more macOS approach, but with very few apps and very ugly. It looks like something that is 25 year old.
      I said something along those lines about a decade ago. I instantly got chastised for it. Apparently it isn't about how it looks, but what it can do. As far as I can see, it's still butt ugly and as far as what it can do... I'm not seeing any concrete, usable GNUStep stuff out there. Even the then much vaunted Étoilé OS is still an unfinished alpha.

Comment

How the hell you don't know GNUStep is a GNU clone of NeXTSTEP by now speaks volumes to your lack of computer systems history. At any rate, the entire project lost steam about 6 years or more years ago. To see this much work is quite surprising. Glad they reached full ObjC 2.0 ABI compatibility, even if it is 6 years too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

How the hell you don't know GNUStep is a GNU clone of NeXTSTEP by now speaks volumes to your lack of computer systems history. At any rate, the entire project lost steam about 6 years or more years ago. To see this much work is quite surprising. Glad they reached full ObjC 2.0 ABI compatibility, even if it is 6 years too late.
          I know that GNUstep is a clone of NeXTSTEP but it is butt ugly. Also, now Apple is moving away from Objective-C in favor of Swift.
          I don't know, maybe NeXTSTEP had some interesting ideas with their "kits" like Foundation Kit and Application Kit. Still GNUstep is butt ugly, maybe it would be cool if it looked pretty like macOS Catalina.

Comment

It doesn't support Wayland.
            Of course it supports Wayland. The whole point of X11 is that it can sit ontop of anything.

Apple will be back to Objective-C once they realize that maintaining Swift bindings for *everything* is too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Of course it supports Wayland. The whole point of X11 is that it can sit ontop of anything.

Apple will be back to Objective-C once they realize that maintaining Swift bindings for *everything* is too hard.
              Yeah, you can run X11 on top of everything, but GNUstep cannot run natively on Wayland without XWayland.

Or they will just abandon Objective-C completely and use Swift exclusively, either without providing any bindings for other languages or creating some automatic binding generation.

Comment

Yeah, you can run X11 on top of everything, but GNUstep cannot run natively on Wayland without XWayland.
                And Wayland cannot run natively on a machine without udev, a compositor and a largely POSIX system laying the foundations.

XWayland is native. In my experience, it is more native than wlroots and a lot of other compositors because it is official and well maintained.

XWayland is just another compositor really. This can be seen with the Xweston project. Xweston might end up just becoming the new Xorg.

use Swift exclusively, either without providing any bindings for other languages or creating some automatic binding generation.
                Without bindings, Swift cannot even output to a text console, read from a file or listen on a socket. Automatic binding generation cannot be done for a number of low level C interfaces. Callbacks and setjmp are examples of things that require manual work. Just creating bindings for wlroots alone would be a monumental task. Objective-C gets it for free because it *is* a subset of C.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 14 April 2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Or they will just abandon Objective-C completely and use Swift exclusively, either without providing any bindings for other languages or creating some automatic binding generation.
                  Apple is already stepping back on pushing Swift forward so no, Swift is the one that will die.

Btw, regarding the theme: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    a number of nww classes added,

Comment

Working...
                    X