Firefox 75 Released With Flatpak Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Yesterday I discovered in SMPlayer that if you choose XV as a video backend, it displays the video in one window. It may not be the Wayland backend
    yes, it may be "x video extension" backend

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Gnome still has an asinine layout requiring too much clicking around and they make it worse constantly.
      what clicking? why do you do too much clicking when none is needed?
      Gnome still breaks randomly on every single update.
      stop using broken distros

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        I don't use Activities Overview (deactivated the hot corner and the button) or Applications thingie of Gnome because they are way too slow and require too many mouse movements or clicks for my workflow.
        activities overview requires zero mouse movements. win key, first letter of app name, enter - that's how you start apps in gnome
        Last edited by pal666; 08 April 2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          So by your own admission, not all CLAs are bad, just some.
          yes, canonical cla and qt cla are examples of bad ones. when people say "cla is bad" they really mean "bad cla is bad". they have to say it because some crazy people like you think that bad clas are good
          It's not CLA's fault some are abusing it.
          well, it's fault of its author. don't write bad clas, be like redhat

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Well, I disagree. Nobody has ever been forced to contribute to a CLA project. You don't like the terms (which is your own right) you don't contribute. Let it die, if the license is that draconian.
            there's no disagreement here. disagreement starts with "but why you don't like my pet cla project"

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
              Uhh yes they do. Red Hat doesn’t want to be exposed to legal liability any more than Canonical does.
              no, they do not. as in "not require cla which allows them to relicense your code under proprietary license"

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                One of the main reason the CLA is needed is due to the agreement with the Free-Qt Foundation, that says that if Qt is ever closed sourced, or stops being maintained, the last released versions becomes available under a BSD license. It wouldn't be possible to do that re-licensing without the CLA.
                no, that's main bullshit excuse. the only reason cla is needed is to allow selling proprietary licenses. to allow relicense under bsd you could just take contributions under dual gpl/bsd licenses. but anyway who needs bsd license? don't make your main license unlinkable to third party code and you don't need bsd for libraries. gtk doesn't need anything like this because it is licensed under lgpl

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  no, they do not. as in "not require cla which allows them to relicense your code under proprietary license"
                  So they do, but they have a CLA you are happy with.

Comment

It -is- a hardware cursor. Wayland is just simply incapable of syncing output on input, so it has no way to keep the rendering lag of the mouse cursor smooth. Or for that matter any input, even joystick and gamepads. Under CPU load there can be multiple -seconds- of input lag because of it. Wayland simply wasn't designed for desktops and you can just forget gaming totally.
                    Hmm, I checked and you're right. But why? It's very noticeable compared to X11. I could get a better CPU and maybe that would help, but I don't get why there should be a step backwards here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

What do you mean? All the major Wayland compositors use HW cursors.
                      I checked and you are correct. I'm confused because I do get input lag on heavy CPU/IO, and I'm not sure where it comes from. This is in contrast to X11, btw.

Comment

Working...
                      X