Zoom Videoconferencing on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom Videoconferencing on Linux

With the COVID virus, the use of videoconferencing is exploding and my requirements were the use of Zoom on Linux.

Even though I had used Zoom for Android, it had not occurred to me that they had native Linux support.

I was wrong!

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...-Zoom-on-Linux

Zoom has developed a full Linux client for many distros and now having tested it in hosting several meetings, sharing screens and also as a video client, I like it.

I always thought that this type of software would struggle with camera capture or audio handling.

Video cameras worked fine, but audio had occasional stumbling blocks. In some cases it could detect the microphone, but it could not get adequate audio output, even when other programs had plenty of volume. On other equipment, the microphone was detected, but no sound was picked up. Still researching if this was an audio mixer issue with the sound card driver. It wasn't a showstopper as I don't typically use computer audio for discussion, I use the Zoom telephone conference lines instead. And the ones I had issues with are very cheap laptops, not systems with more discrete or common audio abilities.

On a 10 user videoconference call, there were no hiccups with video quality, CPU utilization was less than 2%.

The one anomaly I was confronted with was that the Zoom Client said an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 with NVidia GF1050Ti graphics was "inadequate" to run dynamic backgrounds!

Whoa!
Working...
X