Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Working On Variable Refresh Rate Support (VRR / Adaptive-Sync / FreeSync)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Working On Variable Refresh Rate Support (VRR / Adaptive-Sync / FreeSync)

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Working On Variable Refresh Rate Support (VRR / Adaptive-Sync / FreeSync)

Sway's Wayland compositor recently added Variable Refresh Rate / Adaptive-Sync support to help avoid tearing and stuttering while now GNOME's Mutter is working on similar VRR support on the desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    A lot of nice stuff is piled up for GNOME 3.38
    I hope some of it will be backported.

Comment

KDE developers should take notice...

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Given the 3.38 release plans on redoing how Mutter handles display clocks, it's probably not going to be backported.

Comment

Backporting stuff often takes a lot of effort. On the other side, Gnome does have a release every 6 month, which isn't too far away anytime. If they can accomplish far more stuff if they don't spend the time backporting code, I would rather like to see things not being backported.

Comment

Britoid Hibbelharry

Right. Then I'll welcome Fedora 33 alpha with opened arms.

Comment

Britoid Hibbelharry

Right. Then I'll welcome Fedora 33 alpha with opened arms.
              Why would you do that to yourself? I mean, using Fedora is already a serious degree of masochism, but a Fedora Alpha?

Comment

I hope the KDE developers will be working soon on this too.
                Even though I haven't seen many 4k@120 or 144Hz monitor, I think this year will bring many 4K TVs capable of 120 Hz or 144 Hz and VRR.
                Besides KDE adding support for it I think we will need also AMD to stop using such an old version of HDMI (2.0b) and upgrade to the last version (2.1).
                If the RDNA2 GPUs don't come with HDMI 2.1, they will be a total failure for anyone want to use their GPU for entertainment like watching movies or plying games.
                For me that's 90% of what I want a GPU to be good at.

Comment

And I hope that TVs start including DP. I swear I don't understand the reasons for not including DP.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Why would you do that to yourself? I mean, using Fedora is already a serious degree of masochism, but a Fedora Alpha?
                    I'm using Fedora 32 since alpha and it is rock solid for me. However, it doesn't mean I won't use my also favourite Kubuntu and I'll maybe check the newest Ubuntu as well. Ps. I want to say I'm impressed by gnome-boxes in Fedora 32. Not only it supports file drag&drop, but also 3D acceleration. All of this on Wayland. Oh, there's also possibility to set number of CPU's for guest.
                    Last edited by Volta; 31 March 2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X