GNOME's Genius Math Tool Finally Ported To GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Octave is an unwieldy Matlab-wannabe, missing out alot compatibility for the reason you use matlab (the toolkits), the rest are for very specific domains.
    Genius seems like its a good jack-of-all-trades, couldve used that back in the 2000's when I studied maths + cs.
    Well R, Python and Julia is probably not in the same category, and Octave is what it is.

But Geogebra, Scilab and Kalgebra is the same kind of jack-of-all-trades as you describe them. Scilab and perhaps Geogebra are more advanced tools with even more functionality and use cases. Scilab also have a relative large community. Kalgebra has little less features and probably closer to Genius, but Kalgebra is a much more mature application and have more polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
      Well R, Python and Julia is probably not in the same category, and Octave is what it is.

But Geogebra, Scilab and Kalgebra is the same kind of jack-of-all-trades as you describe them. Scilab and perhaps Geogebra are more advanced tools with even more functionality and use cases. Scilab also have a relative large community. Kalgebra has little less features and probably closer to Genius, but Kalgebra is a much more mature application and have more polish.
      Thanks for the tips, did not know all of them.

Comment

Good work, Mr. Doganov. :- )

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Octave is an unwieldy Matlab-wannabe, missing out alot compatibility for the reason you use matlab (the toolkits)
          Well, I just want to quote you on that: If you want to use Octave the way you use Matlab, that could be true. But that's not the way I use it, and it has a lot of nice features Matlab doesn't have (shebangs, fork(), better async file I/O, actually better perf on some vectored operations, auditable/modifiable source, chainable indexes: magic(5)(2,(1), quite a bit more, and a lot of toolboxes on its own: https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php ). I encourage you to give it a try for what it's worth. Every tool has its pros and cons, of course

Comment

Working...
          X