Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Begins February With More Improvements In Tow

Phoronix: KDE Begins February With More Improvements In Tow

While KDE Plasma 5.18 is dropping soon, feature work is already underway on Plasma 5.19 and other areas of the KDE desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile, Dolphin still has a massive memory leak when you are using any application that watches for changes in the filesystem at the same time (like Docker or any modern software development workflow).

Comment

> Meanwhile, Dolphin still has [...]

Presuming that that has been true, and that that's true nowadays, as bug77 wrote "Well, then I'm lucky that my go-to file browser is Krusader
      A quick glance at the system monitor widget shows flat memory usage".

Comment

Could we expect one day that the default apps are rename with a structured convention like kde-system-monitor, kde-file-explorer... ?
        Gnome did it and nobody ever regretted this choice ever since.
        I think that would make kde feel cleaner.

Comment

I'm really looking forward for Wayland on KDE to be default and ready for prime time, but I'm resigned to waiting another couple years. I feel like that will be the final major transition that will cause lots of breakages. After that, it should be relatively smooth sailing for end users.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            Could we expect one day that the default apps are rename with a structured convention like kde-system-monitor, kde-file-explorer... ?
            I find it annoying to have to choose between "Multiple 'File Manager' entries in my launcher menus on my test system" and "Good luck remembering the command name to launch each menu entry".

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I find it annoying to have to choose between "Multiple 'File Manager' entries in my launcher menus on my test system" and "Good luck remembering the command name to launch each menu entry".
              Hum.. you type kde- then TAB and you will have only kde programs listed cleanly.

If typing dolphin in a shell make more sense for you than file-explorer to get a file explorer, cool for you then.

Comment

Hum.. you type kde- then TAB and you will have only kde programs listed cleanly.

If typing dolphin in a shell make more sense for you than file-explorer to get a file explorer, cool for you then.
                What about file-manager? Or file-browser? Those are both far more intuitive terms to me than "file-explorer". what about directory-explorer? Or directory-browser? Or disk-explorer?

Also, if I only have KDE installed, I don't want an additional four characters prepended onto the beginning of every GUI program name I type just because I happen to enjoy ZSH's "Tab completes to first match, then displays an arrow-navigable menu" behaviour.

Better to make the kde-whatchamadingle names symlinks if you want them so badly. If you're on a Debian-family distro, they could abuse the alternatives system that already provides symlinks like /usr/bin/x-www-browser
                Last edited by ssokolow; 03 February 2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Yeah well, Gnome users are easily confused by settings as well. What flies in Gnome land doesn't necessarily make sense for KDE. As long as you remember any part of the name of the app you want, you just Alt+Space, type it in and you're good to go. Plus, we have those ancient relics called desktop icons if we really, really don't want to remember an app's name

Comment

Working...
                  X