X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    we've determined that they all use the Linux Kernel with random patches, they all have the same underlying low-level tools, and all have an interface of some kind.
    Yeah sure, that's why you can run Android applications on a linux desktop distro or do the reverse without shipping the whole goddamn userspace of the OS in a container and do shenanigans for hardware support and use VNC to see the screen, no wait.

Having SOME OS components in common does not make them similar enough to matter, just as you can't run Debian packages on Arch without some shims or modifications. Good luck running any normal Linux application on OpenWrt either, and that's not as alien as Android either.

Meanwhile you can run Arch packages in Manjaro, or Debian packages in Ubuntu.

So, someone is a derivative and someone is just sharing some OS components but it is NOT the same fucking thing and anyone bunching everything together is disineguous
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 14 January 2020, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• paupav
    replied
    Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    tbh I feel as I'm the only one who actually likes unity (the older one).
    faster than kde/gnome, lenses are great so is unified top bar as well as appmenu. shame it's a dead project
    I liked it too, it was too advanced for these fools to understand. They don't like any improvement to GUI made after year 2000. HUD was the best thing that existed. Unity was much faster than anything else and everything worked/works awesome on it on my shitty laptop 2 cores, 4gb ram, bought 8 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    statements without TRIGGERING people please choose something that isn't a direct reskin derivative, like for example

OpenSUSE!=Android
    OpenSUSE -- Linux Kernel with random patches
    Android -- Linux Kernel with random patches
    Ubuntu -- Linux Kernel with random patches
    Manjaro -- Linux Kernel with random patches
    Arch -- Linux Kernel with random patches

OpenSUSE -- cp /some/file /some/file.bak
    Android -- cp /some/file /some/file.bak
    Ubuntu -- cp /some/file /some/file.bak
    Manjaro -- cp /some/file /some/file.bak
    Arch -- cp /some/file /some/file.bak

OpenSUSE -- KDE Plasma
    Android -- Home Launcher
    Ubuntu -- Gnome
    Manjaro -- KDE Plasma, Gnome, XFCE
    Arch -- CLI

If anything, Arch Linux not having an official graphical interface makes them the odd man out since we've determined that they all use the Linux Kernel with random patches, they all have the same underlying low-level tools, and all have an interface of some kind.

I just know that someone will point out toybox vs busybox and my response to that is

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    It's listed as an official Android fork, which is why it's not possible for others to sell FireOS devices
    You can't sell TouchWiz or EMUI or even Android One firmware on your devices (in the sense of you can't put it on your own devices and sell them with it) either. Does not make them non-Android.

without losing Google Play access on devices with official Android.
    That's just a whitelist, any rooted device can report itself as "Google Nexus" to the Play store and have full access to anything, or as "Sony something" to have access to Sony-branded applications like say this music player https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...music&hl=en_US that is 100% not specific for shit but still I can't install it on my devices because they don't report themselves as "Sony something".

If you do so you can install whatever.

In fact, Fire OS is intentionally designed to be incompatible with Google's official Android compatibility standards
    Which is a complete crock of shit because you can install Google Play on them just fine https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/1...n-fire-tablet/
    and you always could since the beginning of time.

Or use tools to do it https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...-v1-0-t3889604

and also stop referring to Manjaro as a distro as it's basically just Arch (just to name two examples of other forked software).
    Your statements are that FireOS is somehow completely different and "not Android", it's like saying Manjaro is somehow completely different and "not Arch" or Ubuntu is absolutely "not Debian" when I can literally add the same fucking repos of the parent distro (akin to adding Google Play) and download and install and use applications from there with no issues whatsoever.

If you want to make bold

"something"!= Android

statements without TRIGGERING people please choose something that isn't a direct reskin derivative, like for example

OpenSUSE!=Android

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

You said Play Store vs Flatpak. A better analogy would of been Flatpak vs APK or Play Store vs Flathub.

Android and Silverblue actually achieve read-only root in very different ways, Silverblue does not use a separate partition read-only root (out the box /var and /usr will be on the same partition). /usr is marked as read-only because writing anything there would get lost when it's relinked.
    My bad, I treat Flatpak and Flathub like they're synonymous. But Play/Hub do have more in common with each other (when compared to traditional package management) and are both used in similar manners -- end-user application installation w/o the need for root-level systems access. It's not like that's something commonly done with apt or pacman outside of hardcore geeks running stuff out of chroots on locked down corporate machines (aren't very many other reasons to have to use most package managers like that outside of full-on retard paranoia).

But the gist of what they're doing is the same -- root/system-space and userspace are separate; systemspace gets its updates from vendor (LG or Fedora/Android or SB); userspace gets its updates from package manager (flats/snaps or Play/Amazon).

While there are obvious technological differences, Android has more in common with Silverblue than is does with any other distribution.

You're right on that partition setup, however, Silverblue does allow putting /, /var, swap, and /boot (and /var/* directories which includes /var/$HOME) on their own partition/disk. From there, a decent amount of the system can be mounted as read-only (though it could be better when compared to how well Android pulls a read-only root off).

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied

It's listed as an official Android fork .... So that does not count as being Android.
    Millions of people just listened to your comment being read aloud to them on their Android-based-FireOS Amazon Alexa and Echo devices. And then they said, "Alexa! Don't read me any more comments by Vistaus. He talks in circles and its annoying."

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Yes it's an Android reskin.
    It's listed as an official Android fork, which is why it's not possible for others to sell FireOS devices (https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/go...Q4CrbrF1grFgcl) without losing Google Play access on devices with official Android. In fact, Fire OS is intentionally designed to be incompatible with Google's official Android compatibility standards (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...eans-necessary). So that does not count as being Android. If it does, then stop referring to NeoVim and just call it Vim 'cause that's the same thing too then, and also stop referring to Manjaro as a distro as it's basically just Arch (just to name two examples of other forked software).
    Last edited by Vistaus; 14 January 2020, 03:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    I wasn't doing a meme
    My post wasn't serious.

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    tbh I feel as I'm the only one who actually likes unity (the older one).
    faster than kde/gnome, lenses are great so is unified top bar as well as appmenu. shame it's a dead project

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied

FireOS =! Android
    Yes it's an Android reskin. What next, you are going to tell us that Samsung TouchWiz (better known as "lagwiz") isn't Android?

Only devices not using Android that aren't running some custom firmware are some Samsung TVs and appliances that use Tizien or some other TVs using WebOS or something, and some low-end phones using a fork of the old FirefoxOS now called KaiOS and mostly proprietary afaik.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X