KDE Frameworks 6 Progresses By Porting Code Away From Deprecated Functions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 6 Progresses By Porting Code Away From Deprecated Functions

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 6 Progresses By Porting Code Away From Deprecated Functions

Back in November was the first of several KDE Frameworks 6 developer sprints as plans begin to formulate for this evolutionary frameworks upgrade due out not until well after the Qt 6.0 tool-kit release. While Qt6 itself is still in flux, KDE Frameworks 6 efforts continue moving along by focusing on porting code away from deprecated KF5 functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If anyone is wondering why those KDE news can be read peacefully, it's because 144Hz / GhostOfFunkS / Funkstar / Griffin / Honton was banned:

Phoronix: KDE Plasma & Friends See Many Fixes + Improvements Ahead Of Christmas KDE developers haven't let up ahead of the holidays in their relentless work for improving the KDE desktop and contained applications... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KDE-Ahead-Of-Christmas-2019

Comment

It's really nice to see projects that take depreciation seriously and move code away from apis scheduled for removal. And, like, actually remove them instead of lugging around "deprecations" forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
        If anyone is wondering why those KDE news can be read peacefully, it's because 144Hz / GhostOfFunkS / Funkstar / Griffin / Honton was banned:
        It's actually back now, so we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
          It's really nice to see projects that take depreciation seriously and move code away from apis scheduled for removal. And, like, actually remove them instead of lugging around "deprecations" forever.
          Yep, you have to refactor every so often, to get rid of accumulated cruft. You always pay the technical debt eventually; better to do it every so often, rather than in one (insurmountable) lump.

Comment

What about moving more KDE Frameworks cruft into Qt itself in a same, intelligent and elegant way? I consider KDE Frameworks as a sign of Qt lacks, better collaborate and solve that instead.

In the meanwhile, better Vulkan and Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...72#post1147372
              I just saw 2 posts of him. Was that his ghost typing?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                What about moving more KDE Frameworks cruft into Qt itself in a same, intelligent and elegant way? I consider KDE Frameworks as a sign of Qt lacks, better collaborate and solve that instead.

In the meanwhile, better Vulkan and Wayland support.
                Qt doesn't lack much. You can create beautiful desktops with just Qt too, Deepin proves that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Qt doesn't lack much. You can create beautiful desktops with just Qt too, Deepin proves that.
                  ...I thought Deepin used HTML5?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I just saw 2 posts of him. Was that his ghost typing?
                    I don't think so, I consider more probable that he's less impulsive after the ban.

Comment

Working...
                    X