Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Fedora Magazine found the opposite.

There are over 40 desktops in Fedora. Each desktop has it’s own strengths and weaknesses. Usually picking a desktop is a very personal preference based on features, looks, and other qualities. Sometimes, what you pick for a desktop is limited by hardware constraints. This article is to help people compare Fedora desktops based on the […]

Mutter has it's own share of problems.
    From that article:

I then waited 5 minutes. This allowed any startup services to finish. I recorded the final free result, as well as the final top three memory consumers from top.
    If Fedora's implementation of KDE includes Baloo, the "wait 5 minutes" method isn't a valid method to use for testing the initial install memory usage. They need to either kill Baloo or give it 24-48H to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed.delanight View Post
      Kdepim and especially akonadi are a disaster. My current user experience is akonadi crashing 4 times on desktop start, then having to restart it manually. Sometimes it also spikes to 100% cpu usage after a crash and I have to manually kill it. Not to mention the fact that you need MySQL/PostgreSQL running (don't even try to mention SQLite, because good luck migrating to it).

Kwin has some serious performance issues on some hardware.

Baloo is also a cpu hog that, especially if using Docker, can make you want to just go away from the computer for 15 minutes until it's done. I ended up just disabling it completely so I can get work done.

There is a huge memory leak bug with all the file selection dialogs, including Dolphin and other file managers using it, that makes all these programs unusable. This apparently only affects some people for unknown reasons. The bug report has been stale for months.

Discover is an absolute abomination that was pushed down users' throats when it was, being generous, alpha quality software. It has improved but it's still abysmall compared to other graphical software managers. Muon was honestly a lot better.

The amount of memoy/cpu leaks in the latest releases are increasing at an alarming rate on some hardware configurations.

So no, I am not happy.
      I'm a happy KDE user on Arch, but I specifically don't install 'kdepim-meta' nor do I use Kontact or anything. It's is a buggy mess with nothing working without weird issues like failures connecting to IMAP servers, address books, not remembering folder settings, and its connection to O365 is terrible either at an IMAP level or addressbook / contacts level. I disable Baloo / Search as well. I haven't noticed issues with Dolphin, but don't use it much. Okular, Konsole, Digikam, and Spectacle work great though.

My desktop has been up around a week since the last Arch patch round and seems its sitting at about 300MB of RAM used. Chromium and Firefox use way more RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

Who decides what is and is not necessary? I do as my choices will be different to yours and if I use stuff than you then its more functional (not bloated). Its all subjective thats why its a troll post to say its "bloated"
        Sure, but there should be a sane default for *most* users. If no one wanted sane defaults, everyone would be using LFS. IMHO, KDE Plasma is pretty good, but its defaults aren't sane for most users, i.e. bloated.

Btw, I use KDE Plasma on the side and as my main desktop as well from time to time and I'm definitely supporting them, so it makes no sense whatsoever to call me a "troll" when I'm actually on the KDE "fan" team.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

I'm a happy KDE user on Arch, but I specifically don't install 'kdepim-meta' nor do I use Kontact or anything. It's is a buggy mess with nothing working without weird issues like failures connecting to IMAP servers, address books, not remembering folder settings, and its connection to O365 is terrible either at an IMAP level or addressbook / contacts level. I disable Baloo / Search as well. I haven't noticed issues with Dolphin, but don't use it much. Okular, Konsole, Digikam, and Spectacle work great though.

My desktop has been up around a week since the last Arch patch round and seems its sitting at about 300MB of RAM used. Chromium and Firefox use way more RAM.
          So you are more a Kwin user than a KDE user. I guess you either use Thunderbird or just webmail then.

Comment

Working...
          X