KDE Plasma 5.18 Introducing Built-In Emoji Picker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    That's a terrible conspiracy theory. Michael links to Nate Graham's blog of KDE changes every week and usually highlights one in the headline (the same one highlighted in the blog post from what I see). The blog post also headlines the new emoji feature.

Try harder next time.
    It's a joke. Get a sense of humor next time.

Comment

I must say that I am quite annoyed by all of those unwieldy windows-based shortcuts that crop up (meta D,E,P...).

Maybe plasma should offer some "shortcut set"? Give me back Alt, and make every compositor shortcut depend on Meta. Oh well, I guess what I really want is for it to use my sway config file

I hope they thought about non-QWERTY layouts: I have to press shift to type a period on a regular AZERTY.

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
        Kde is great, bur it still has some annoying problems. ( Try to safely remove usb ). Sometimes you copy something to USB removable, but after you remove it, nothing ia there. Can an option be added maybe in dolphin settings to verify the hash of the copied file after, maybe showing a little green dot on the icon if hash is ok?
        Probably not. Any such code would still be going to KDE Frameworks, with no way to tell whether the underlying cache has been flushed or not.
        It must be doable, though, just not as easy as you think.

Comment

Kde is great, bur it still has some annoying problems. ( Try to safely remove usb ).
          Why don't you do it like it always has been done, unmount it before removing it. As long as your operating system handles mounting in a sane way, KDE will give you indication when the drive is safely umounted and you can remove it.

Comment

Kde is great, bur it still has some annoying problems. ( Try to safely remove usb ). Sometimes you copy something to USB removable, but after you remove it, nothing ia there. Can an option be added maybe in dolphin settings to verify the hash of the copied file after, maybe showing a little green dot on the icon if hash is ok?
            If you are copying over USB 2.0, the amount of data copied might take longer as it can be transferred off of the disk source into RAM, but still be writing. Safe removal feature is meant to help avoid that by telling you the device is still busy. I had a transfer of a few GB once that took many hours, but on Windows it'd have been like 10 minutes or so. The transfer had said it was completed iirc(was back in 2016) but wouldn't safely remove. I waited maybe 30 minutes and then figured I'd just pull it, and when I tried to access the data later it was corrupted.

Been plenty of fixes since though(Dolphin had pretty bad copy performance years ago that's been addressed since).

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              I must say that I am quite annoyed by all of those unwieldy windows-based shortcuts that crop up (meta D,E,P...).

Maybe plasma should offer some "shortcut set"? Give me back Alt, and make every compositor shortcut depend on Meta. Oh well, I guess what I really want is for it to use my sway config file

I hope they thought about non-QWERTY layouts: I have to press shift to type a period on a regular AZERTY.
              You can configure all the shortcuts yourself in the system settings, you could even import/export shortcut schemas if you wish to bulk-configure/replace.

I myself have reconfigured a whole lot of the default shortcuts to make them easier for one-hand usage, and to map them closer to other WMs I use on more limited systems.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

If you are copying over USB 2.0, the amount of data copied might take longer as it can be transferred off of the disk source into RAM, but still be writing. Safe removal feature is meant to help avoid that by telling you the device is still busy. I had a transfer of a few GB once that took many hours, but on Windows it'd have been like 10 minutes or so. The transfer had said it was completed iirc(was back in 2016) but wouldn't safely remove. I waited maybe 30 minutes and then figured I'd just pull it, and when I tried to access the data later it was corrupted.

Been plenty of fixes since though(Dolphin had pretty bad copy performance years ago that's been addressed since).
                That’s why you should unmount an USB drive. This even got its own space in the tray area. If it it safe to remove, Plasma will tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  It's a joke. Get a sense of humor next time.
                  It wasn't very clear satire. And several people agreed with me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

That’s why you should unmount an USB drive. This even got its own space in the tray area. If it it safe to remove, Plasma will tell you.
                    Uhh... perhaps you didn't read what I was saying. I had done a safe unmount request, and been told it was busy, and it remained busy for over 30 minutes. Took many hours to complete. One case I think took around 7 hours for 3-4GB over USB2 to USB stick(which copied same data in around 10 minutes on Windows).

My message was more about why the data copied over was missing for the user that I replied to.

Comment

ngraham

On file transfers, one thing I noticed is that the progress bar shows what is being read (on the origin device), not what is being written (on the receiving device). To me this is inverted, since the user only cares if the receiving device got it all. On large file transfers, the bar shows the task to be finished, but the receiving device is still blinking indicating the transfer is not completed. If your device did not have a LED, you will not know what is happening.

Other DE like Gnome or Windows did not have this problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X