Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter Had A Busy November With Some Big Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GNOME developers were particularly busy last month with various improvements for increasing the usability of the desktop
    Yeah, right...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      gnome 2 wasn't smooth at compositing. it didn't support compositing at all
      And he's right that it was still faster than gnome 3 is today.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
        Took them 10 years to get to almost gnome 2 smoothness?
        Gnome Shell was already smooth from day one on an 2005 LG LT20 convertible notebook running on 1.4Ghz Intel Pentium M and 2GB RAM (upgradable to 4GB RAM max). Same with 2007 Sony VIAO equipped with Intel Core Duo, Intel 855 graphic card and 4GB RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

And he's right that it was still faster than gnome 3 is today.
          And GNOME 1.x were a lot faster and responsive than GNOME 2, so what the point?

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

And GNOME 1.x were a lot faster and responsive than GNOME 2, so what the point?
            No, Gnome 1, after some minutes of usage, became heavy and unresponsive. I know.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

No, Gnome 1, after some minutes of usage, became heavy and unresponsive. I know.
              Cannot really remember that, it was pretty responsive for me in RH6 and Debian 3. But you may have different experience. I certainly remember that I have switched full time to Enlightenment DR16 back than and was quite happy.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                Gnome Shell was already smooth from day one on an 2005 LG LT20 convertible notebook running on 1.4Ghz Intel Pentium M and 2GB RAM (upgradable to 4GB RAM max). Same with 2007 Sony VIAO equipped with Intel Core Duo, Intel 855 graphic card and 4GB RAM.
                KDE runs smooth on an 5MHz Intel 8086 from 1979

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                  from horrible performance to crap performance, they still have long way to go, and in the meantime people are leaving linux in mass https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

i'm pretty sure ubuntu going gnome 3 encouraged even more people to leave, or maybe that was valve officially announcing giving up on native linux development, in favor of emulating windows lol
                  Steam Hardware survey isn't accurate IMO. It just randomly picks people, asks if they want to opt in to the survey.

​​​Honestly, I'm ok with them automatically collecting some limited amount of info as long as it's tied to random UUIDs.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                    ​Honestly, I'm ok with them automatically collecting some limited amount of info as long as it's tied to random UUIDs.
                    You don't even need an ID. Just collect the system data (without any user identification) from everyone, execpt if they tick out of it.
                    I think that way would be a little bit tricky with european law, but then just ask it once on install and say it helps developers to target their performance goals better. That's what it's for and who doesn't want that?

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                      from horrible performance to crap performance, they still have long way to go, and in the meantime people are leaving linux in mass https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

i'm pretty sure ubuntu going gnome 3 encouraged even more people to leave, or maybe that was valve officially announcing giving up on native linux development, in favor of emulating windows lol
                      You don't know how to work with statistics, do you?

You have a population of one million. Of that one million, ten percent use product X, five percent use product Y, and 85 percent use product Z.

You add a million new people to the population. Now the numbers show that five percent use X, two and a half percent use Y, and 92.5 percent use Z. Did X and Y actually have a decrease in users? No. You just added a million Z users to the population.

In other news, Steam's been expanding it's Chinese userbase.

Comment

Working...
                      X