Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS File-System Seeing LZO/LZ4 Compression Support

Phoronix: F2FS File-System Seeing LZO/LZ4 Compression Support

Similar to the transparent file-system compression that has been available on the likes of Btrfs and ZFS for years, the Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) is also in the process of receiving native compression support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the comments about dropping LZO and picking up ZSTD pan out.

Comment

Two things:

- (I can't vouch for ZFS, but...) in BTRFS the compression isn't necessarily "blanket". Giving mount.btrfs the 'compress=xxx' option is just one possible way to do it. Other ways include also using the +c attribute, and manually compressing a file using 'btrfs filesystem defrag -c'.

- I second skeevy420 : it would be great if they dropped LZO (doesn't add much to LZ4) and added Zstd instead (offer a lot of different tunable use-cases, some tuning overlapping with the fast-but-light compression of LZO, others tuning including strong (e.g.: offline) compression to prepare seldom-written-mostly-read files)

Comment

Bit off topic, but I am still pissed that I have to use a patch to get zstd compressed kernels and initramfs since 2 years.
        Thats a pretty simple one time call that ain't getting up streamed, while filesystems just keep adding compressors like it's nothing.

Comment

Too bad openSUSE doesn't support F2FS ... they are too busy trying to rename the project it seems.

Comment

Is it still impossible to shrink an F2FS filesystem?

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
              Too bad openSUSE doesn't support F2FS ... they are too busy trying to rename the project it seems.
              this is why https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1109665
              isn't this "renaming openSUSE" thing kinda old now?

1. There are a bunch of validation checks which are not being backported since they are not linked to a particular CVE as such the stability of the filesystem is questionable even with CVE backports.

2. Currently the filesystem doesn't have a way to disable mounting of filesystems created with newer kernels, containing on-disk incompatible changes. I have talked with one of the maintainers and they recognize this fact but so far no one is working on this. This is a pretty major since newer images could potentially crash older kernels not being able to properly parse them.

3. All in all this leads me to believe that f2fs requires a rather controller environment in terms of kernel/tools versions so is not a good candidate to be included in a community-based distribution kernel.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 25 October 2019, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post
                Is it still impossible to shrink an F2FS filesystem?
                yes. Also it's still risky to run fsck on it from architectures different from x86 and ARM (although I would not trust much ARM either, at least personally)
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 25 October 2019, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X