Fedora 31 Won't Add An Official POWER Desktop Spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone truly surprised?

If they don't have the resources to maintain a 32-bit x86 build for the remaining 20 users, they certainly don't have the resources to maintain a POWER build for 5 users XD.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 08 October 2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

If they don't have the resources to maintain a 32-bit x86 build for the remaining 20 users, they certainly don't have the resources to maintain a POWER build for 5 users XD.
      POWER is fairly widely deployed on servers, making it worth the investment. POWER workstations are also starting to become a thing, and I expect companies who work with POWER servers will start using them more as desktop software is better supported. It is a growing platform, not a dying one.

Also POWER was recently open-sourced as OpenPOWER, so extra points for supporting an open ISA: https://openpowerfoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by phoenk View Post
        POWER is fairly widely deployed on servers, making it worth the investment. POWER workstations are also starting to become a thing, and I expect companies who work with POWER servers will start using them more as desktop software is better supported. It is a growing platform, not a dying one.
        I could see POWER server running CentOS, not Fedora..

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Nah, it's there, it's just not official for this release because it got in too late.

32bit on the other hand...

Comment

I'm sure other distribution actually have same type problem(s) lack of dedicated rare or expensive hardware, many independent or hobbyist developers can't touch this platform(s), maybe only telneting thousand kilometers (or miles but make NO differences). Most wanted cold be a Raspberry Pi heaving a POWER CPU even under-powered or under-clocked one . Can breathe even with no 5GHz of futuristic POWER10. Unfortunately lack of available proper hardware a no go for many OSS projects. For them will be practically impossible to optimize software, hunt and solve bugs or a predicable and sane development process.
            From https://www.extremetech.com/computing/286311-linus-torvalds-claims-arm-wont-win-in-the-server-space
            Linus Torvalds about why arm can't win competition with x86-64

That’s bullshit. If you develop on x86, then you’re going to want to deploy on x86, because you’ll be able to run what you test “at home” (and by “at home” I don’t mean literally in your home, but in your work environment).

Which means that you’ll happily pay a bit more for x86 cloud hosting, simply because it matches what you can test on your own local setup, and the errors you get will translate better…

Which in turn means that cloud providers will end up making more money from their x86 side, which means that they’ll prioritize it, and any ARM offerings will be secondary and probably relegated to the mindless dregs (maybe front-end, maybe just static html, that kind of stuff).

Linus Torvalds on Native ARM Development, idea is cross platform development not exactly best solution to be adopted by majority. But only bare metal to convince them to switch to POWER.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Why? You CAN install desktop-related packages manually and edit the config files if and where needed..
              What if I am Average Joe and don't know how to use the terminal to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                What if I am Average Joe and don't know how to use the terminal to do that?
                ​​Person who is capable of installing OS by way of graphical installer is capable of tying her/his shoes, chewing gum and typing into fucking shell.. Because former involves steps that are more or less as complicated as interacting with the shell is.. Like getting installation image onto boot media, changing the order of boot devices, partitioning the disk.. If she/he can do all the shit I listed, it's pretty reasonable to expect him/her to be able to interact with the flippin terminal.. If you still keep insisting there would be idiots who can't.. Hypothetically you can win big on lottery, plenty of spam mail even insist you did.. It becomes your own problem if you keep believing..
                ​​​​

Comment

That didn't happen for Fedora 32 as well, any chances for Fedora 33?
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                  X