Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.14 Hits Alpha With Major Renderer Work, Better HiDPI Support

Phoronix: Qt 5.14 Hits Alpha With Major Renderer Work, Better HiDPI Support

The Qt Company has announced the availability of the Qt 5.14 Alpha release ahead of this half-year tool-kit update due out before year's end. Qt 5.14 is also the second to the last in the Qt5 series with an increasing amount of work shifting to Qt6 that is expected to debut towards the end of 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If that renderer is another graphics API on top of Vulkan, DX etc I'm not gonna use it, I've had enough learning OpenGL and Vulkan. I'm sick and tired that every toolkit reinvents everything.

Comment

Still no VS 2019 support? Oh man..

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Qt Multimedia now supports the GSteamer OpenGL plug-in.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
          It is supported in the sources and AFAIK the VS2017 binaries are compatible with VS2019 which is why there are no separate binaries

Comment

I will ask a question about Qt that I asked in the other thread but nobody replied. other than a spammer.

Do both Qt Quick Controls 1 and 2 support GPU acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I will ask a question about Qt that I asked in the other thread but nobody replied. other than a spammer.

Do both Qt Quick Controls 1 and 2 support GPU acceleration?
              I am not certain but I believe Quick Controls 1 uses the QStyles of widgets which generally are CPU rendered or poorly GPU accelerated, but very native desktop looking and behaving. Where the new controls use QML styles that are less desktop native but much better optimized and accelerated.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I am not certain but I believe Quick Controls 1 uses the QStyles of widgets which generally are CPU rendered or poorly GPU accelerated, but very native desktop looking and behaving. Where the new controls use QML styles that are less desktop native but much better optimized and accelerated.
                Quick Controls 1's QStyle theme has some bugs though. QQC1 is also deprecated and will most likely be removed in Qt 6 (5.15 will be last version of Qt 5).

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Damn it... Guess I'm going for QtQC2 then...

Even GTK+3 achieves GPU acceleration for the basic widgets.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
                    They're busy implementing new unwanted features </sarcasm off>

Comment

Working...
                    X