Chrome 78 Hits Beta With Native File System API, Much Faster WebSockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 78 Hits Beta With Native File System API, Much Faster WebSockets

Phoronix: Chrome 78 Hits Beta With Native File System API, Much Faster WebSockets

Google on Friday released the Chrome 78 web-browser beta following last week's release of Chrome 77...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish Qt JavaScript supported the Native FS API so that I could expand my Mixxx mappings' capability...

Comment

From the announcement:
      Websites use SMS messages as a way to verify phone numbers by sending a one-time-password for manual entry into a form (or for copy and paste). Native platforms offer an API that gives programmatic access to such messages that allows users to skip manual interaction with the form.
      The SMS Receiver API allows websites to access SMS messages that are delivered to the user's phone specifically addressed to the origin (via a special formatting convention).
      So your BROWSER is going to give permission to WEBSITES to grab SMS text data from your PHONE. Somehow this seems like what I like to call a BAD IDEA. The potential unintended consequences are mind boggling.

Comment

... the day, when your browser exceeds the size of an fully installed operating system. Firefox and Chrome are getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Which also means, slower and slower and slower ...

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          ... the day, when your browser exceeds the size of an fully installed operating system. Firefox and Chrome are getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Which also means, slower and slower and slower ...
          As SNK said...

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

(A minimized operating system is now thousands smaller than a modern web browser)

Wait and see how it will be more obvious. After that, I hope a better generation of web engines and web standards appears to counteract that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            From the announcement:

So your BROWSER is going to give permission to WEBSITES to grab SMS text data from your PHONE. Somehow this seems like what I like to call a BAD IDEA. The potential unintended consequences are mind boggling.
            I totally agree. It is unneeded. What is so wrong about using email for human verification? And/or a CAPTCHA?
            ​​​​​​I especially hate how some websites (e.g. Snapchat) are beginning to drop email-and-CAPTCHA-based verification and pushing phone numbers down our throats. What if I don't have a phone, or don't want to give out so much information?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

As SNK said...

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

Also used by Hudsucker Industries, a very underrated movie and my favourite Coen Brothers work.

Welcome to the world of work.......

You punch in at 8:30 every morning, except you punch in at 7:30 following a business holiday, unless it's a Monday, then you punch in at 8 o'clock. Punch in late and they dock you. Incoming articles get a voucher, outgoing articles provide a voucher. Move any article without a voucher and they dock you. Letter size a green voucher, oversize a yellow voucher, parcel size a maroon voucher. Wrong color voucher and they dock you! 6787049A/6. That is your employee number. It will not be repeated! Without your employee number you cannot get your paycheck. Inter-office mail is code 37, intra-office mail 37-3, outside mail is 3-37. Code it wrong and they dock you! This has been your orientation. Is there anything you do not understand, is there anything you understand only partially? If you have not been fully oriented, you must file a complaint with personnel. File a faulty complaint and they dock you!

Comment

you are too late, web browsers are already operating systems.

Comment

... the day, when your browser exceeds the size of an fully installed operating system.
                  i don't consider this to be a bad thing, i don't need to install an image viewer, media player or pdf viewer, i use the browser for all of this.

Firefox and Chrome are getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Which also means, slower and slower and slower ...
                  How bigger = slower ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_o View Post

How bigger = slower ?
                    It is obviously not true. Linux kernel for example gets bigger with each release typically but the performance doesn't go down typically with each release. Browsers continue to gain features and performance continues to typically improve with each release as well. So it is both bigger and faster. There are certainly other concerns with having an ever growing browser or a kernel for that matter but performance is not the issue

Comment

Working...
                    X