Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britoid
    replied
    If the only way the Linux Desktop can get users from Windows is to copy the Windows UI and workflow we might as well give up.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

Doesn't everybody do that?
    Most, but GNOME sort of limits the user's ability to customize the workflow.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Somebody who customizes their workflow to their own needs.
    Doesn't everybody do that?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I do use Linux everyday to accomplish my work and earn money by doing it, i do work in a software company. It's hard to tell what kind of facts puts someone into the poweruser category, but I'm willig to put myself into that group. I like Gnome, because it's pretty easy to use.
    Removed that part of my post since it seems to be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Inversely, maybe power users are the ones who find GNOME hard to use?
    I do use Linux everyday to accomplish my work and earn money by doing it, i do work in a software company. It's hard to tell what kind of facts puts someone into the poweruser category, but I'm willig to put myself into that group. I like Gnome, because it's pretty easy to use.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

Define power user. I'm using Linux since 1998 (starting with SuSE 5-something), when it took me three days to get my mouse working. GNOME works fine for me.
    Somebody who customizes their workflow to their own needs.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Inversely, maybe power users are the ones who find GNOME hard to use?
    Define power user. I'm using Linux since 1998 (starting with SuSE 5-something), when it took me three days to get my mouse working. GNOME works fine for me.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
    The Gnome UI has absolutely nothing to do with Mac,
    Sadly, yes:
    - The top bar
    - The full-screen app launcher
    - CSD
    - The lack of customization options
    Last edited by tildearrow; 07 September 2019, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    And also hinder the possibility of new users, and especially the ones that come from Windows. Since they find GNOME being unfamiliar, they'll just go back to Windows because most aren't willing to take the effort of knowing what KDE (or the alternate DE's (or even what a Desktop Environment is)) is.
    I see your point, but on the other hand I'm happy that Gnome doesn't want to be another Windows copycat like the other DEs. However aside of the obvious differences between the UI, many of the UX mechanics are still the same.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    After years I'll give Gnome another try. Last time when I was using it as the main desktop, it had performance problems with Firefox. What seems to be good about Gnome is systemD integration and push toward Wayland. What I don't like too much are streamlined applications, launcher and the feeling 'everyone's' moving to Qt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X