• retardxfce
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sadly, yes:
    - The top bar
    - The full-screen app launcher
    - CSD
    - The lack of customization options
    Top Bar is Mac? Then XFCE, Gnome 2, Mate, sway WM, are Mac clones. I move the bar to the top in KDE and windows because I prefer it that way = mac clone?

full screen app launcher? If anything it's a windows 8 clone or a android tablet clone, but not Mac.

you can easily change the theme, icons and many other things in gnome. There is hardly a lack of customisation.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Sadly, yes:
    - The top bar
    macOS also has a top bar, but the way it works in GNOME was copied from webOS.

macOS didn't even have a full-screen app launcher when GNOME first showcased it.

- CSD
    macOS has CSD, but they copied it from Xerox GlobalView, so technically GNOME also copied Xerox: http://toastytech.com/guis/gv.html

macOS is not the only DE/OS with a lack of customization options, but given its popularity compared to some of the others, it might have inspired them.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 07 September 2019, 12:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by lumks View Post

Actually thats not the case. Most people have someone who installes "linux" for them and put some extension to it to make it work like windows. Others, who come from themself to linux dont even expect it to be like windows, because, well - it's not Windows.

The other way around my mother have has some huge issues on KDE because its "windows like" but a bit different and that was the reason she got really frustratet. Not so much since I switched her to Gnome.

I also dont see gnome struggle.
    You can install as many extensions as you want, but GNOME will never be as Windows-like as Plasma, TDE (esp. on Q4OS) and Cinnamon.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied

The extension system is very prone to API/ABI breakage...
    Doesn't make much sense to talk about ABI for javascript bindings and API hasn't changed in any serious for the past several releases and that's the reason new releases don't automatically mark extensions as incompatible anymore. Largely because the shell doesn't change as much as it did in the earlier major releases

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    tildearrow please keep the KDE talk to a minimum.
    He didn't even promote Plasma (yes, Plasma, NOT KDE), he made a fair comparison of trailers. Nothing wrong with that.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post
    Some people might even argue, that GNOME is very customizable using it's extension system. I didn't dug too deep with the few extensions I wrote.
    The extension system is very prone to API/ABI breakage...

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    tildearrow GNOME is by far the most extendable and themable desktop. That’s why most downstream use it. That includes traditional distributions like Debian, RHEL, SLED, Ubuntu and Fedora. And now it also includes custom builds like Pop, Elementary and Endless.

If you strongly need to discuss other desktop variants then move it to appropriate discussion threads.
    OK, look. I haven't mentioned other desktops for a while. Can you stop?

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    tildearrow GNOME is by far the most extendable and themable desktop. That’s why most downstream use it. That includes traditional distributions like Debian, RHEL, SLED, Ubuntu and Fedora. And now it also includes custom builds like Pop, Elementary and Endless.

If you strongly need to discuss other desktop variants then move it to appropriate discussion threads.
    Elementary does not use GNOME, it does use some GNOME technologies though.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied

Most, but GNOME sort of limits the user's ability to customize the workflow.
    Maybe, but as long as the requirements are met with the options which are there (settings, (self-made) extensions) and the desktop works stable, then everything is fine.

Some people might even argue, that GNOME is very customizable using it's extension system. I didn't dug too deep with the few extensions I wrote.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

Sadly, yes:
    - The top bar
    - CSD
    - Eh, the top bar achieves different things on macOS.
    - The full screen app launcher is more of a Spotlight clone
    - Whilst macOS has used them since the very beginning, Windows has supported them for a long time too.
    - I don't think this is copied from macOS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X