Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Firmware Updater Is A New UI For Managing Firmware On Linux By Power Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Firmware Updater Is A New UI For Managing Firmware On Linux By Power Users

Phoronix: GNOME Firmware Updater Is A New UI For Managing Firmware On Linux By Power Users

After mentoring a Dell student intern over the summer, Red Hat's Richard Hughes has announced their work today on the GNOME Firmware Updater...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see release notes for the firmware before I decide to update.
    Example a firmware might fix some issue dealing with Bluetooth which I don't care about, but if it fixes something dealing with virtualization I might be more interested in updating.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would like to see release notes for the firmware before I decide to update.
      Example a firmware might fix some issue dealing with Bluetooth which I don't care about, but if it fixes something dealing with virtualization I might be more interested in updating.
      You can see some example in the blog post. https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/file...8-10-25-48.png

Anyway, release notes are required to be provided from the ones that are providing the firmware updates. If no-one bothers/doesn't have time to write them, then..

Comment

A new struggle between R. H. and System76? They are doing the same thing in the same space...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          A new struggle between R. H. and System76? They are doing the same thing in the same space...
          RedHat/IBM + Dell VS System76, specifically.

I hope System76 joins the effort in some kind of proper consensus, they are becoming more ridiculous than Canonical....

Comment

Wouldn't get that excited. For me this and it shows just two hard drives and nothing can be done. Good for Dell or whatever but if you put together your own computer I've a feeling its not anything worth while either for an unknown amount of time or never.

Comment

Power users use Gnome. Experts use anything besides it

Comment

Why not integrate it into GNOME Software instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  Why not integrate it into GNOME Software instead?
                  It already is?

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

This is a few months old, so in practice it came first.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It already is?
                    I'm not aware of anything like this.
                    Last edited by tildearrow; 28 August 2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X