No announcement yet.

The Latest GNOME Performance Issue Being Addressed Are OpenGL Pipeline Stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest GNOME Performance Issue Being Addressed Are OpenGL Pipeline Stalls

Phoronix: The Latest GNOME Performance Issue Being Addressed Are OpenGL Pipeline Stalls

The latest upstream GNOME performance shortcomings being investigated by prolific contributor Daniel Van Vugt of Canonical are OpenGL pipeline stalls...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In Vulkan all of this is probably explicit and much less CPU intensive, I'm waiting for the day when Vulkan becomes an option in the compositor.

Comment

So, with all this work Gnome might actually feel fast and reactive - that's very cool!

Welcome to the smooth desktop experience Gnomians ~ from your resident KDE Plasma shit stirrer

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Vulkan won't help here, avoiding using glReadPixels() and the like will. When drawing you want to put all assets in gpu ram at startup and then only send drawing commands, not read data from gpu to system ram for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          boxie please stir somewhere else. Why would anyone care about how you feel when you can go read about what a handful of GNOME developers measure?
          nawww, you are no fun!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            So, with all this work Gnome might actually feel fast and reactive - that's very cool!

Welcome to the smooth desktop experience Gnomians ~ from your resident KDE Plasma shit stirrer
            Eh? KWin is by no means fastest tool in the shed. Try running a monitor at 144hz - micro stutters are noticeable. kwin-lowlatency exists not without a reason.

Disclaimer: i am a YUGE kde fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

Eh? KWin is by no means fastest tool in the shed. Try running a monitor at 144hz - micro stutters are noticeable. kwin-lowlatency exists not without a reason.

Disclaimer: i am a YUGE kde fanboy.
              Are you running 144hz native on your monitor? (I ask because I thought freesync was disabled for desktops)

Comment

I've tried out Pop OS last weekend with Gnome. And albeit being a much more fluid experience in desktop use than a year ago, Company of Hero's performance tanked significantly according to the built-in benchmark. Pop OS with KDE was significantly faster but still more than 10 % behind openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE on my setup (I optimized both as best as I could to squeeze every bit of performance out of them but that could be due to distribution/toolchain/driver differences). Unfortunately the game is still very much Windows optimized, the performance there is still way better than on Feral's port.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  KDE people can you please move your off topic talks to somewhere appropriate?
                  I do consider talking about Gnome performance issues on topic. And I am not religious about my DE choice, I just want things to work as good as possible. And next to the performance issues, some deliberate usability choices of Gnome are driving me mad as it hurts my workflow (such as no desktop icons). But that is indeed another topic.

Comment

For those who want to try out these patches there is a "mutter-performance" PKGBUILD (Arch-based distros) in the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mutter-performance

Many patches are already merged (for 3.34 I guess), some are still WIP, some are still discussed. The corresponding merge requests are linked inside the PKGBUILD file. The improvements are quite noticeable. For things like moving windows around it is not only less stuttery it also uses 10-15% less CPU for me here.

Comment

Working...
                    X