Chrome 76 Beta Brings Dark Mode Media Query, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

It is not viable to use Konqueror anymore? Why not?
    GNOME also have its own browser called GNOME Web or Epiphany. It is built on WebKit2 over the WebKitGTK bindings.

Microsoft and Mozilla might display some ads, but Google is an ad company.
    Well, you "can" surf the web, but you will find that a lot of sites don't work correctly on it anymore, and as far as I know, its development was abandoned and I don't want to go out there on a browser full of safety holes.

Also, Google may do advertising on a larger scale, but both Mozilla and Microsoft do sell your data and publish ads, just as Google. They just don't like to talk about it outside their terms of service.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Well, you "can" surf the web, but you will find that a lot of sites don't work correctly on it anymore, and as far as I know, its development was abandoned and I don't want to go out there on a browser full of safety holes.

Also, Google may do advertising on a larger scale, but both Mozilla and Microsoft do sell your data and publish ads, just as Google. They just don't like to talk about it outside their terms of service.
      Maybe try Falkon (formerly known as Qupzilla).

Comment

Maybe try Falkon (formerly known as Qupzilla).
        I tried that, but unfortunately their slow releasing schedule made me nervous, because of security holes not being patched at a faster pace.

While privacy issues made me look for alternatives, the serious attitude they take towards security made me stick with them (Firefox, Chromium). After all, better know who look at your data, than have your system do things outside your control (malware).

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I tried that, but unfortunately their slow releasing schedule made me nervous, because of security holes not being patched at a faster pace.

While privacy issues made me look for alternatives, the serious attitude they take towards security made me stick with them (Firefox, Chromium). After all, better know who look at your data, than have your system do things outside your control (malware).
          A nice thing with Firefox is that you can have containers. Hold down the + button to open a new tab and it lets you open the tab in a new container. So you have containers for personal, banking, shopping and work.

Comment

It is not viable to use Konqueror anymore? Why not?
            GNOME also have its own browser called GNOME Web or Epiphany. It is built on WebKit2 over the WebKitGTK bindings.

Microsoft and Mozilla might display some ads, but Google is an ad company.
            Becuase Konqueror doesn't render modern websites properly anymore.
            I remember using Epiphany for a time, but a few issues disturbed me (mostly minor but still):
            - The Breeze theme stretches the buttons at the right of the tab bar, and as you may know, stretching looks cheap and ugly.
            - Why in the world is the Clear All button at the top left?! There is a bar at the bottom. Couldn't you place it there instead?????
            - DuckDuckGo isn't that private because Epiphany sends its own "&t=" string. While Firefox does this too, at least- Oh, wait, I can fix this... But still, only set for DuckDuckGo, not Bing or Google!
            - Seriously? When a page in the Most Visited section fails to load, its title isn't retained but rather changed to "Problem Loading Page". What a joke. "Problem Loading Page" is my favorite news website! And Problem Loading Page Premium gets you an ad-free experience and some other stuff.

No, Google isn't just an ad company. It's a world-consuming monster.
            *people screaming in the background and running from it*

Comment

A nice thing with Firefox is that you can have containers. Hold down the + button to open a new tab and it lets you open the tab in a new container. So you have containers for personal, banking, shopping and work.
              Tried doing so, no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Tried doing so, no effect.
                Oh, maybe it is only possible on nightly, or if you have installed the Firefox containers extension which is an official extension by Mozilla.

Comment

Working...
                X