GNOME Inching Closer To Better Wayland Multi-Monitor Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It is not doable when a canonical developer steps in trying to solve gnome3 problems. IBM software is badly designed and implemented to prevent the success of the Linux desktop.
    https://www.redhat.com/en/partners/microsoft
    It must hurt you to post all theses rants toward IBM, while typing it on a IBM layout keyboard, on a IBM PC compatible...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Ubuntu are still discussing wayland.
      So Phoronix reported that we’ve not planning on trying for Wayland by default for 20.04 LTS. I haven’t been able to find another public discussion on it. Is this the case? If it hasn’t been decided yet, I’d like to share a few reasons why we should aim for defaulting to Wayland for 20.04 LTS: There is work being done to close those last little itches keeping people off it And some big things like the nVidia driver working correctly and screensharing appear imminent (within months?) As the d...

So they need to fix multimonitor, Nvidia driver issues and get risk of crashers. Should be doable.
      Fixing issues with proprietary NVidia drivers on Wayland? They've been always awful, I don't think it's "doable" at all.

They should just ignore proprietary NVidia on Wayland, as they're not willing to cooperate, and people who need the perf of their proprietary drivers are probably better off with X, because that's what games are available for.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Fixing issues with proprietary NVidia drivers on Wayland? They've been always awful, I don't think it's "doable" at all.

They should just ignore proprietary NVidia on Wayland, as they're not willing to cooperate, and people who need the perf of their proprietary drivers are probably better off with X, because that's what games are available for.
        Good for Wayland devs for not caring about NVIDIA, who in turn has refused for 20+ years to provide free and open source drivers, something that all of its competitors have done to some extent. Not only has NVIDIA refused to help open source developers, it actively hinders them by not releasing the signed firmware needed to operate the cards. Let us all join Linus Torvalds and give NVIDIA the big, fat middle finger it deserves!

Comment

I hope mixed-dpi comes next on the table.

Comment

Maybe by 2025 it'll be reliably stable, performance driven and a clear replacement to Xorg. For now, it's an option I ignore on Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              Maybe by 2025 it'll be reliably stable, performance driven and a clear replacement to Xorg. For now, it's an option I ignore on Debian.
              No hi- or even mixed-dpi, obviously.

Comment

Working...
              X