Questions on buying a Linux laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on buying a Linux laptop

Say for example I go into a Dell Store and find a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu.
    1) is the version of Ubuntu preinstalled the latest version? Or do they use LTS versions?
    2) what if I don't want Ubuntu and want Lubuntu instead? What usually happens? Can I offer to bring them a LiveUSB of Lubuntu to install on my purchased laptop? Or does Dell offer different Ubuntu flavors already?
    3) and if I install Lubuntu, will there be any issues? Like drivers and such?

Ubuntu (or its variants) tend to work well across most laptop hardware. You will run into issues with "hybrid-graphics" systems though. I would recommend getting a laptop with either a dedicated graphics card (read expensive) or one of the built in Intel GPUs (ex. HD 4000 series).

As an alternative you can check out a company I have recently came across, System 76 (https://system76.com/). I have not purchased any hardware from them yet, but I have recently began using their Ubuntu based POP_OS as my gaming / development OS. It works very well out of the box, especially if you are interested in running proprietary drivers for your graphics and want the very best 3D performance.

I am planning on buying my next laptop from them. They only support Linux and all their hardware comes pre-installed with it.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Comment

Say for example I go into a Dell Store and find a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu.

1) is the version of Ubuntu preinstalled the latest version? Or do they use LTS versions?

usually LTS. i believe sometimes their version are slightly modified for hardware compatibility.

2) what if I don't want Ubuntu and want Lubuntu instead? What usually happens? Can I offer to bring them a LiveUSB of Lubuntu to install on my purchased laptop? Or does Dell offer different Ubuntu flavors already?

you have two options either install the lubuntu-desktop package from software center or (this is IMO a better option) simply install just the LXDE (not sure what the exact package name is).

3) and if I install Lubuntu, will there be any issues? Like drivers and such?

nope. Lubuntu is JUTS Ubuntu with LXDE desktop and some selected programs. ofcourse it is then also tested to make sure all stuff works well. you can try it in virtual machine.

drivers in Linux are part of kernel or patches to kernel (firmware). they have nothing to do with desktop environment.
      e.g. server image will have same drivers as desktop image etc.
      Diceus

Comment

Working...
      X