Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First There Was Compiz, Now There Is Compiz++

Phoronix: First There Was Compiz, Now There Is Compiz++

First there was Compiz, a compositing window manager that brought very interesting desktop effects to Linux, and then Beryl came about as a fork of Compiz before it ultimately turned into Compiz Fusion. Today though, on Christmas eve, the world can now meet Compiz++. Compiz++ is a branch of Compiz that brings several new features to the table and there are huge changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a feeling that KWin's work has been instrumental in all of this. The fact that they are switching to cmake makes this pretty obvious.

I wonder if compiz will be replacing KWin in the future? Perhaps it can replace Metacity too. That would be a really great thing for the linux community. Or at least this modularization should make it much easier to share code between the projects.

Granted, it would be trickier to share with Metacity since it doesn't use C++.

Considering how many distos dump metacity for compiz, it would make perfect sense for GNOME to dump it too, and for all of us to rally around one window manager.

Comment

Just like with KDE 4, if it's not stable enough it won't conquer users. I hope a new architecture will fix all glitches and bugs that plague Compiz Fusion today.

Comment

No Composite required, possible X Render backend, C++, CMake... is it Compiz or KWin?

Comment

I think KDE users will stick to the amazingly fast developing KWin4 which works quite well already. Compiz(++) will become the standard for Gnome though, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I think KDE users will stick to the amazingly fast developing KWin4 which works quite well already. Compiz(++) will become the standard for Gnome though, I guess.
            Not to mention KDE4 is pain free to get setup and use. Even works great in KDE3 when using kwin4 for your Window Manager.

Comment

"Compiz++ also introduces support for tiled textures, which allows larger pixmaps to be supported whereby its broken into smaller textures to avoid such limitations."
              Does this mean I can use compiz++ on my 9500 with two 1440x900 screens and not get everything past 2048th pixel go black when I start it?

If true, I can't wait for this to hit the sunrise or x11 overlays in gentoo. This is what has been holding back my use of compositing. I used compiz when I had only one monitor, and then quit using it when I got two.

Comment

I wonder how C people will react to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                  I wonder how C people will react to this.
                  It's sad to see so many people doing development for the sake of C than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    It's sad to see so many people doing development for the sake of C than the other way around.
                    yeah,so true. To me, opengl always seems to make more sense in c++ than in c. Likewise for gui toolkits, and no gobject does not count as an oo language

Comment

Working...
                    X