GNOME 3.34 Release Schedule - Next Desktop Release Due Out On 11 September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Live now and not in the future that will never happen. 10 years of wayland development and adaptation is poor even in the redhat camp, there are only a few native wayland applications. https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/Applications
    The link you posted shows that all but 5 out of 73 Gnome applications run natively under Wayland. That's more than 93% (and 2 of those 5 haven't been tested yet, they could very well be functional).

That sort of proves the opposite to the point you were trying to make...

PS - Wayland is working out fine for me with sway and qt applications.
    Last edited by Slithery; 10 March 2019, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Some people need to work for living. Redhat is a tool of microsoft to prevent Linux desktop success. https://www.redhat.com/en/partners/microsoft
      I wonder if it's possible to have a single discussion involving GNOME or Redhat without this bs being thrown in.

Comment

There thousands of applications that require X, for example games. Not a single application in that list that I use. No Rosegarden and software synths, Chromium, Steam, Vlc...
        Then why link to a page that describes the high compatibility of Gnome applications when it is in no way relevant to the argument that you're trying to make?

Have you actually tried rosegarden? A quick look at the dependencies shows that it uses qt5 so should already be wayland compatible.

Or maybe you're just upset that your beloved XFCE doesn't support wayland yet.
        Last edited by Slithery; 10 March 2019, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          debianxfce I don’t underestimate the ignorance of users, including my own. Those working full time just knows better. That includes Olivier Fourdan who started xfce but now works for Fedora.
          According to history ignorance of developers is bigger problem.

Comment

You know "Correlation does not imply causation", so if it's not BS it's a fallacy at least

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery
              73 Gnome applications run successfully under Wayland.
              That sort of proves the opposite to the point you were trying to make...
              There thousands of applications that require X, for example games. Not a single application in that list that I use. No Rosegarden and software synths, Chromium, Steam, Vlc...
              Well done for not quoting my entire post and taking it out of context. You do realise that the list you linked to isn't a list of all compatible applications, just all of the applications written by Gnome don't you?

Comment

If anything the problems with the Linux desktop are caused by people with opinions like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Although the one issue I ran into is with screen reader using Orca. PulseAudio is working fine but I get no sound whatsoever with espeak or espeak-ng. My primary sound system is my home theater receiver which connects through HDMI and I get audio from there. According to the sound settings, speech-dispatcher-espeak-ng does show up, but no sound is coming from screen reader at all. I tried using espeak-ng in the terminal and saw "eSpeak" shown up with volume at 100% but no sound coming out. Firefox and Zoiper is working fine with PulseAudio and that's about it. I have an NVIDIA GTX 960 graphics card, if that helps.
                  I don't know if this is related, but with my R9 Fury I've had an issue with DP / HDMI audio only working at 48KHz sampling rate. If I try to play music which is usually at 44.1KHz then I get only silence. Have you tried forcing PulseAudio to resample to a specific sampling rate? If I resample music to 48KHz then I get audible sound.

This can be configured in '/etc/pulse/daemon.conf'.
                  Look for 'default-sample-rate'.
                  Usually (depending on distro) it defaults to 44100.
                  Try changing it to 48000 and see if your problem goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I don't know if this is related, but with my R9 Fury I've had an issue with DP / HDMI audio only working at 48KHz sampling rate. If I try to play music which is usually at 44.1KHz then I get only silence. Have you tried forcing PulseAudio to resample to a specific sampling rate? If I resample music to 48KHz then I get audible sound.

This can be configured in '/etc/pulse/daemon.conf'.
                    Look for 'default-sample-rate'.
                    Usually (depending on distro) it defaults to 44100.
                    Try changing it to 48000 and see if your problem goes away.
                    The problem does not go away for me.

However, disabling enable-remixing is what did it for me. Both Linphone and screen reader worked. However, I want stereo sources to be in stereo when surround sound is not needed, so that means I'll have to switch to stereo mode.

Update: I did some research when I Google "pulseaudio enable remixing in stereo only" (no quotes) and saw the report here:

So from my experience, playing mono sources with enable-remixing disabled results in silence. Enable remixing and espeak-ng and linphone works. However, enabling remixing results in upmixing to 5.1 surround sound which I don't intend to do so at all. I don't know why mono sources do not get played at all with remixing disabled.

And if I want to do any remixing from stereo to 5.1, I will let my DENON home theater receiver do that and NOT PulseAudio itself!!!!!!!! It just seems PulseAudio tries to do so many things at once and that can cause problems.

Update 2: Okay. This is how I have it configured:

Code:
                    enable-remixing=yes
                    remixing-use-all-sink-channels = no
                    Setting "remixing-use-all-sink-channels" to no while still enabling remixing is the way to do it. Now the mono source is played in my center channel instead of left and right channel, which is fine, but would be nice to convert mono sources to stereo.
                    Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 10 March 2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I hope the on screen keyboard gets a full keyboard layout (including Ctrl/Alt/Super/F-keys/Escape and cursor keys). The current OSK layout is a copy from the Android mobile view and it makes coding/terminal use on my tablet impossible.

Comment

Working...
                      X