Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 4.3 Sees More Work Upstreamed While Adding In A Number Of New Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Oh boy just use the FAudio DLLs with a simple override and forget this distro repository centralized garbage piece of shit system common in Linux. What the hell guys, how many times must it fuck you over before you realize how shit it is?

In Windows you have Vulkan since Win 7 (more than a decade) and it's still extremely popular. You can't even get it for a 5 year old distro on Linux without PPA or compiling it yourself, and people say "lol wut go upgrade wtf man!!!!!". Pathetic.
    communism roflcopter.

Comment

Oh boy just use the FAudio DLLs with a simple override and forget this distro repository centralized garbage piece of shit system common in Linux. What the hell guys, how many times must it fuck you over before you realize how shit it is?
      How about you stop preaching the shitshow system of "let's ship whatever the crap we like and drop it in our application folder without any kind of safeguard"?

In Windows you have Vulkan since Win 7 (more than a decade) and it's still extremely popular. You can't even get it for a 5 year old distro on Linux without PPA or compiling it yourself, and people say "lol wut go upgrade wtf man!!!!!"
      Why the fuck the windows way is the only way?

The Linux way to stay up-to-date with the latest features is a rolling release distro (which is basically what Windows 10 also is), or a short-time frozen release distro (like 6-12 months).

LTS releases are for those that don't give a shit about using newer features, or are stuck with Ubuntu for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        How about you stop preaching the shitshow system of "let's ship whatever the crap we like and drop it in our application folder without any kind of safeguard"?
        Huh? You can compile it yourself and have zero stress or headache (you don't even have to compile SDL since you can download it from the developer which is a million times more trustworthy than some 3rd party package maintainers). Too bad Ethan doesn't provide binaries himself, like with DXVK. People have no issues with DXVK because trusting the dev is where it's at.

Also you don't have to place it near the binary, you can place it in the wineprefix (its C:\windows\system32 dir) and in fact that's what the script does (symlinks it, so no space wasted either).

Why the fuck the windows way is the only way?

The Linux way to stay up-to-date with the latest features is a rolling release distro (which is basically what Windows 10 also is), or a short-time frozen release distro (like 6-12 months).

LTS releases are for those that don't give a shit about using newer features, or are stuck with Ubuntu for some reason.
        I didn't say it's "the only way". You can keep using the latest Windows version and updates if you so wish. But on Linux you have no choice in using stuff for a decade or more and 3rd party devs expect you to upgrade even FASTER than the 5-year LTS thing that's common (which is already very short in comparison).

Comment

Huh? You can compile it yourself and have zero stress or headache
          You have just lost 99% of the userbase.

I didn't say it's "the only way".
          Yes you did.

You can keep using the latest Windows version and updates if you so wish. But on Linux you have no choice in using stuff for a decade or more and 3rd party devs expect you to upgrade even FASTER than the 5-year LTS thing that's common (which is already very short in comparison).
          What part of

"The Linux way to stay up-to-date with the latest features is a rolling release distro (which is basically what Windows 10 also is), or a short-time frozen release distro (like 6-12 months).

LTS releases are for those that don't give a shit about using newer features, or are stuck with Ubuntu for some reason. "

you did not understand?

Devs expect you to upgrade faster than the 5-year LTS thing if you care about features, that's the Linux way.

Comment

You have just lost 99% of the userbase.
            No you didn't, because 99% of the userbase is fine downloading binary DLLs, like dxvk has proven. So hard facts are not on your side, pal. The 1% of paranoid wackos can compile it themselves, so where's the problem?

What part of

"The Linux way to stay up-to-date with the latest features is a rolling release distro (which is basically what Windows 10 also is), or a short-time frozen release distro (like 6-12 months).

LTS releases are for those that don't give a shit about using newer features, or are stuck with Ubuntu for some reason. "

you did not understand?

Devs expect you to upgrade faster than the 5-year LTS thing if you care about features, that's the Linux way.
            The bullshit way you mean. This thread is perfect example why "this way" is designed for incompetent retards. Literally so many problems always come from "the Linux way" and see so many threads that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

I want to use LTS distro and upgrade only some packages, like Windows allows you to (but does NOT force you to, that's the difference). The option to do that. Your "way" is nothing but restricting options so it cannot ever be good, even objectively.

Comment

Weasel - what do you think about Flatpak, Snap & Appimage?

I haven't heavily used any of them yet, but I'm hopeful that these packaging technologies will be useful for people like you and me who prefer LTS distros.

Comment

No you didn't, because 99% of the userbase is fine downloading binary DLLs
                Since we like shifting goalposts, downloading random third party stuff is no different than using a PPA (community repo) amirite?

I want to use LTS distro and upgrade only some packages, like Windows allows you to (but does NOT force you to, that's the difference). The option to do that. Your "way" is nothing but restricting options so it cannot ever be good, even objectively.
                Nice strawman. You are not seeing the whole picture, as usual.

Windows can do that by allowing some insanely unsafe and annoying shit to go down, shit that even them are trying to put a brake on with their UWP system (the "apps" system), but they can't push it too much or they kill off the only reason they still exist (the ecosystem).

Linux ecosystem does limit your freedom to some extent but does also protect you from that kind of crap. And there is work ongoing for solving the issue you have in a sane way with flatpak.

The actual reality is that there isn't an absolute better but just two different compromises.

I know you don't give 2 shits about security as long as you can run your 32bit application you compiled yourself in 1999, and that you will shout at me bloody murder as usual since you can't understand different needs from your own, but other people are different.

I'm sick of Windows drawbacks, and even if I don't get the latest-est software NOW or if I have to keep all stuff updated (the horror), or even use only 64bit software as I don't use Wine or Steam (omg) I'm happy to live the Linux way.

Comment

Windows can do that by allowing some insanely unsafe and annoying shit to go down, shit that even them are trying to put a brake on with their UWP system (the "apps" system), but they can't push it too much or they kill off the only reason they still exist (the ecosystem).

Linux ecosystem does limit your freedom to some extent but does also protect you from that kind of crap. And there is work ongoing for solving the issue you have in a sane way with flatpak.

The actual reality is that there isn't an absolute better but just two different compromises.

I know you don't give 2 shits about security as long as you can run your 32bit application you compiled yourself in 1999, and that you will shout at me bloody murder as usual since you can't understand different needs from your own, but other people are different.

I'm sick of Windows drawbacks, and even if I don't get the latest-est software NOW or if I have to keep all stuff updated (the horror), or even use only 64bit software as I don't use Wine or Steam (omg) I'm happy to live the Linux way.
                  So, let's use an actual example, since you clearly don't get it.

Tell me, what is "insanely unsafe" and "annoying shit" about having vulkan.dll on Windows 7 and not having libvulkan (without PPAs) even on Ubuntu 14.04 (5 years only)?

Feels like all you have are just pseudo arguments.

Comment

Working...
                  X