X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post

I'd have to agree with this to a point, Never once needed to turned bass/treble up. Half decent headphones negate this too.
    For music mine goes through a denon avr then to the speakers.
    Yeah. I normally find headphones too much hassle but I've got some decent Harman-Kardon speakers pulled from an old Win98-era Dell and they sound best with the Bass and Treble knobs centred. (More or less. I've had to turn the Bass down for some tracks which are catchy but mixed by idiots.)

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    they probably have shitty speakers
    I'd have to agree with this to a point, Never once needed to turned bass/treble up. Half decent headphones negate this too.
    For music mine goes through a denon avr then to the speakers.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Well most PC users I know always turn on the bass & treble boost as much as possible
    they probably have shitty speakers

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    Are you dumb or something?
    if you can't understand something, chances are it's you who are dumb
    The hardware in smaller lower power hardware, has less power
    it has enough power to generate waves of air pressure (sound), surely it can cope with bit juggling
    And I was not talking about Apple, I was talking about Bluethooth, and before Apple decided to add AAC to Bluethooth there
    as no AAC in protocol, and it wasn't there for a reason as there was no low-power chips that could decode it.
    well you were lost in discussion. everyone else was discussing apple decision to support aac in bluetooth, apparently because their low-power chips had no issues with handling it
    A big part of the air pods was that Apple bought a company that had invented a low-power chip that could decode AAC, which made this particular setup possible.
    so you understand that low-power chips can easily decode aac in hardware, but you still feel the need to assert contradicting claims?

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    I'm fired up to do this because on the way home I was just trying to listen to some music, and in some types of transit vehicle (and, for whatever reason, not others) it would just completely drop out every 20-30 seconds, no doubt because it was trying to push almost 400kbps of craptastic SBC on a very unreliable connection.
    Mumble is a perfect example of how great Opus is for real time transmission. I encode some music at 96-128 Kbps vbr too and it's fantastic.

I'd like to see mp3fs support Opus too, for real time encode on demand.

It really is a lovely codec.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by dwagner View Post
    I, too would have assumed that the "loudness" button enables loudness compensation as described in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_compensation - for simply the fact that almost every HiFi amplifier has/had a button labeled "loudness" for that purpose.

My (many years old) amplifier has another button for what you are after, which is labeled "dynamic range compression".
    Yes, but there are far more people who have computers than who ever had HiFi amplifiers.

I'm honestly really surprised that Microsoft gave such a vague description for it, given that potential for uncertainty in what it actually does.

Leave a comment:

• dwagner
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    My point is that you're the first person I've met who would see that option name and relate it to bass and treble boost, rather than dynamic range compression.
    I, too would have assumed that the "loudness" button enables loudness compensation as described in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_compensation - for simply the fact that almost every HiFi amplifier has/had a button labeled "loudness" for that purpose.

My (many years old) amplifier has another button for what you are after, which is labeled "dynamic range compression".

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

My point is that you're the first person I've met who would see that option name and relate it to bass and treble boost, rather than dynamic range compression.
    Well, I don't use Windows and have 30 years of experience with high fidelity audio equipment?

Leave a comment:

• Maslou
    replied

I tried and tested the operation of all sound transmission modules. We have ready packages from the repository for UVUNTU: https://github.com/EHfive/pulseaudio-modules-bt

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Well most PC users I know always turn on the bass & treble boost as much as possible so I'd assume they want the other type of loudness settings too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X