Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt 5.13 Slated To Deliver Many WebAssembly Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Qt 5.13 Slated To Deliver Many WebAssembly Improvements

    Phoronix: Qt 5.13 Slated To Deliver Many WebAssembly Improvements

    The Qt 5.12 release at the end of last year brought the Qt for WebAssembly Tech Preview to allow for Qt-based applications to run within web browsers via the sandboxed WASM technology. With the Qt 5.13 release coming out this spring, the WebAssembly support should be in much better shape...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ly-Improvement

  • #2
    I hope they can make Qt integrate better with the desktop environment.
    VLC media player doesn't look so good for me on Ubuntu.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I hope they can make Qt integrate better with the desktop environment.
      VLC media player doesn't look so good for me on Ubuntu.
      It used to integrate very well, with QGtkStyle allowing it to share the GTK+ 2.x theme, but, for GTK+ 3.x, with theming APIs changing so frequently, they just had QGnomePlatform pull in the color scheme and left it up to the user to find a matching theme.

      Given my theming preferences, I still wish someone would write a way for GTK+ to mimic the Qt theme rather than the other way around.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I hope they can make Qt integrate better with the desktop environment.
        VLC media player doesn't look so good for me on Ubuntu.
        Why is that? If its an aesthetic issue, its best for the toolkit to provide a good user interface so the user can configure their own look and feel in depth using a user interface. Everyone has different UI preferences. So, basically people should do the opposite of what Gtk/Gnome does, which is a complete disaster. Because you cannot configure Gnome, its lead to gazillion forks for really what should be things that the user should be able to configure using a UI configuration tool. There are certain UI developers responsible for the Gnome 3 disaster, who have created, shall we say "Havoc".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Given my theming preferences, I still wish someone would write a way for GTK+ to mimic the Qt theme rather than the other way around.
          There are a number of cross toolkit themes, including KDE's Breeze (and dark variant) and QtCurve (which had a ton of options last I used it).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jpg44 View Post

            Why is that? If its an aesthetic issue, its best for the toolkit to provide a good user interface so the user can configure their own look and feel in depth using a user interface. Everyone has different UI preferences. So, basically people should do the opposite of what Gtk/Gnome does, which is a complete disaster. Because you cannot configure Gnome, its lead to gazillion forks for really what should be things that the user should be able to configure using a UI configuration tool. There are certain UI developers responsible for the Gnome 3 disaster, who have created, shall we say "Havoc".
            I don't want to configure the look-and-feel of anything.
            I want to use software, not configure them.
            I appreciate good defaults out-of-the-box.
            I already configured my desktop environment which theme it should use, then I expect all applications to follow my defined preference.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post

              I don't want to configure the look-and-feel of anything.
              I want to use software, not configure them.
              I already configured my desktop environment which theme it should use, then I expect all applications to follow my defined preference.
              So you don't want to configure the look and feel, but you configured the look and feel?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I appreciate good defaults out-of-the-box.
                The problem with that is what you might consider good, I might consider bad and vice versa.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

                  So you don't want to configure the look and feel, but you configured the look and feel?
                  I configured the look and feel of my desktop environment.
                  I picked the theme I want, I picked the wallpaper I want. Now I'm done. I don't want to configure each application individually. I already set the theme for the desktop environment.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wonder if they are trying to compete against electronjs.

                    I prefer native applications (like VLC and OBS) due to performance/efficiency, however slack and discord has great eye candy and themes. Perhaps wasm improvements will make QT a viable option for web developers?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X