Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Gets Konsole Improvements & Other Polishing For Christmas

Phoronix: KDE Gets Konsole Improvements & Other Polishing For Christmas

It's been a lighter week of KDE development due to many developers taking time off for the holidays, but there still was a fair amount of new activity going into KDE around polishing it up and the never-ending process of usability improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Konsole's "Edit Profile" has been quite buggy in that sometimes it didn't pick the default profile. Hope it's been fixed.

Comment

Does anybody know if the Konsole Breeze color scheme changes will work on Yakuake or, if not, would the Yakuake color scheme need to be updated? As much as I like Konsole, Yakuake is just too convenient -- Since it's a simple F12 to show or hide the terminal, it doesn't take up taskbar space so I just leave it running (especially useful when used with the zsh bgnotify plugin).

Looking forward to the changes in Dolphin.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Does anybody know if the Konsole Breeze color scheme changes will work on Yakuake or, if not, would the Yakuake color scheme need to be updated? As much as I like Konsole, Yakuake is just too convenient -- Since it's a simple F12 to show or hide the terminal, it doesn't take up taskbar space so I just leave it running (especially useful when used with the zsh bgnotify plugin).

Looking forward to the changes in Dolphin.
        While yakuake uses konsolepart, I think it has own kconfig independent from standalone konsole so revisiting konselepart settings in yakuake after update might be needed especially if you overrriden theme already. Gui for kensolepart setings is the same though.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

While yakuake uses konsolepart, I think it has own kconfig independent from standalone konsole so revisiting konselepart settings in yakuake after update might be needed especially if you overrriden theme already. Gui for kensolepart setings is the same though.
          That's what I was thinking. Their settings and configurations are so similar to one another I wasn't sure if their color schemes were unified or not -- in Discover, Yakuake schemes are seperate from Konsole so I might just have to tweak Yakuake Breeze to be the same as the new Konsole Breeze...sounds like a decent place to start so I can share something back with the KDE community.

Comment

These days I was running some long-running apt-get install commands in the terminal and I was wondering if it would be possible to display a progress bar / color for those commands like when I install an update with Discover and Discover's segment from the taskbar has these color progress and I can see very easily without un-minimizing (bringing its window to front) if it's over or not or how much it has progressed.
            If that would be possible I think it would help a lot to find out when the long-running command has finished without unminimizing or any window change.
            If it could be done also for commands like cp and mv would be even nicer!

Also a small beep or bell would be nice to hear when the command is over.
            Of course this one most likely should not be activated by default, probably most people (even I) don't want to hear a lot of unintended or possibly loud sounds.
            Something that could be activated from terminal's config panel would be great. Maybe even with configurable sound track or two default sound tracks, one for success and one for failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              These days I was running some long-running apt-get install commands in the terminal and I was wondering if it would be possible to display a progress bar / color for those commands like when I install an update with Discover and Discover's segment from the taskbar has these color progress and I can see very easily without un-minimizing (bringing its window to front) if it's over or not or how much it has progressed.
              If that would be possible I think it would help a lot to find out when the long-running command has finished without unminimizing or any window change.
              If it could be done also for commands like cp and mv would be even nicer!

Also a small beep or bell would be nice to hear when the command is over.
              Of course this one most likely should not be activated by default, probably most people (even I) don't want to hear a lot of unintended or possibly loud sounds.
              Something that could be activated from terminal's config panel would be great. Maybe even with configurable sound track or two default sound tracks, one for success and one for failure.
              I'm not sure on the progress bar...that might have to be implemented by the program or command; maybe implemented in a wrapper script that can gather enough information to generate and output a progress bar.

If you use ZSH with a plugin framework, the bgnotify plugin I mentioned above gives you a notification box whenever a command completes, tells you how long commands take, and it has a way to add in a notification chime -- not by default, but "function bgnotify_formatted" can be tweaked to have a tone play based on the exit status (IMHO, would probably be better to implement as it's own function).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                These days I was running some long-running apt-get install commands in the terminal and I was wondering if it would be possible to display a progress bar / color for those commands
                This has to be supported by the tool itself as the terminal has no way of knowing what the child process you started with command line is actually doing until it returns something (text or exit codes).

use rsync instead of cp
                use pv instead of dd
                use debconf-apt-progress for showing a progress bar in apt https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/d...ress.1.en.html

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  This has to be supported by the tool itself as the terminal has no way of knowing what the child process you started with command line is actually doing until it returns something (text or exit codes).

use rsync instead of cp
                  use pv instead of dd
                  use debconf-apt-progress for showing a progress bar in apt https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/d...ress.1.en.html
                  Depending on the program and how verbose it is (and how well one can script), it's possible to implement wrapper scripts that make progress bars. There are a lot of tutorials and scripts designed to do exactly that.

Comment

I still hope they create a Konsole app for Windows that wraps round WSL- the default console is terrible - I mean who presses return to copy?
                    Last edited by FireBurn; 24 December 2018, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X