VirtualBox 6.0 Released With Better HiDPI Support, VMSVGA 3D Graphics On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    What i hate about it is extremely poor 3D performance. I don't know if there is a bug or not, but even though i enable Direct 3D support for Windows guests the performance is so slow, that even Football Manager 2019 2D user interface (not the match engine, just the interface) is a slide show. In Vmware it runs like a charm. Haven't tried Vbox 6.0 version, i hope this has been improved...
    By using vmware vga driver performance now should be very similar to the ones offered by VMWARE.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnet View Post

By using vmware vga driver performance now should be very similar to the ones offered by VMWARE.
      Isn't that for Linux guests only?

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Your ticket is out there open for 4 solid years, then....they ask;

"Anyone interested in contributing who has a bit of experience of how 3D works is welcome to contact us on the vbox-dev mailing list."

Kind of curious, what hypervisors do support Wayland?

I've done a quick try in a Qemu/KVM machine running an instance of weston from terminal and it runs flawessly.

Comment

I agree it's not as fast as QEMU/KVM or Xen on Linux but it does have some advantages:

1) It works on Windows, macOS and Linux
          2) It's open source and free
          3) You can just copy a VDI file to another platform (e.g. from Linux to Windows), set up the settings and run it and the VM works)
          4) It's very easy for non-techies to use

My use case is using Linux and sharing VMs with colleagues who use Windows (and are not technical in terms of operating systems). We can all use VirtualBox and swap VMs with each other. There isn't another open source/free hypervisor that offers all of these features (as far as I know) and can work across Windows, macOS and Linux.

KVM is my preferred hypervisor but until I can persuade colleagues to switch to Linux (and some use commercial software like Proteus and would not switch to something like KiCAD), VirtualBox is the only solution I can use (unless you count VMware ... with all the lock in and cost that entails!)

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Isn't that for Linux guests only?
            No it's for windows guests too

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Shrug, works perfectly for my various desktop vm use cases, I've been very happy with it.
              It works != it's good. Vbox is ways slower than KVM:

KVM Networking

VirtualBox networking

KVM disk

VirtualBox disk

Plus it has LOT of CVE which allows a guest to gain root in the host:

CVE-2018-2676
              CVE-2018-2685
              CVE-2018-2686
              CVE-2018-2687
              CVE-2018-2688
              CVE-2018-2689
              CVE-2018-2690
              CVE-2018-2693
              CVE-2018-2694
              CVE-2018-2698

I consider it one of the worst software ever made, not even worth a try, even for desktop

Comment

I always thought X.org and Wayland were supposed to share the same DRI drivers, with Glamor coming along? Why should special wayland support be necessary then?

Comment

I wonder where my post has gone

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
                    The feature list is underwhelming. It feels more like a minor update.
                    They're probably following Google Chrome's footsteps.

Comment

While I don;t doubt that Wayland has some benefits, it seems many of the remote desktop folks are having issues with it. Didn't Ubuntu withdraw Wayland?

VBox offers a display server option through their tools, which I would imagine would need to have Wayland support to function properly. If the VNC folks are having trouble making Wayland work, reliably then I would imagine VBox would too.

Besides VBox isn't really designed for production use. It's a research and development tool. While I get people wanting bare metal performance out of it, I would surmise that performance isn't the #1 goal of the product.

KVM on the other hand is a production ready product, where users pay for support and have performance expectations. I would expect it to perform well.
                      Last edited by edwaleni; 19 December 2018, 01:19 PM. Reason: Adding context.

Comment

Working...
                      X