Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.31.2 Desktop Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.31.2 Desktop Released

GNOME 3.31.2 is out this Friday as the latest development release in the trek towards next March's GNOME 3.32 release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....31.2-Released

Can GNOME run on Wayland without XWayland yet?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Can GNOME run on Wayland without XWayland yet?
      And is it totally rewritten in Rust?
      Does it run on Redox? Under RISC-V on a container?

Erm, I think not really, but there is some progress: https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...idding-Old-X11

Comment

The performance optimisations are about the most important thing for Gnome now i think.
        I love using gnome, but the performance is just not very good. Lots of stuttering and a high memory consumption.
        I really love the direction they are taking and i feel like my efficiency is high when working in Gnome.
        So i wish they would dedicate an entire release to optimize performance.

Comment

Nautilus on my machine has started to take ages to open, probably like ~20 seconds, I hope this release fixes that

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            Nautilus on my machine has started to take ages to open, probably like ~20 seconds, I hope this release fixes that
            Weird... Check your logs with journalctl. It opens instantaneously on this old laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              The performance optimisations are about the most important thing for Gnome now i think.
              I love using gnome, but the performance is just not very good. Lots of stuttering and a high memory consumption.
              I really love the direction they are taking and i feel like my efficiency is high when working in Gnome.
              +1
              What kind of hardware can run GNOME smoothly?
              I've tried 3 different modern Intel graphics computers and all run GNOME poorly. I wonder what hardware can run it. AMD? NVIDIA? An i7-latest generation only? Because Intel graphics can't.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                And is it totally rewritten in Rust?
                Does it run on Redox? Under RISC-V on a container?
                Don't really care so much for Rust in application software. Its more interesting in interpreters, parsers, and decoders.

Don't care so much for RISC-V on application software either (though it would be cool if Android had support for RISC-V), I find RISC-V support to be most interesting in toolchain, GCC, Android Things, Python and maybe .NET Core, things you would use for IoT.

Comment

Originally posted by alqm View Post

+1
                  What kind of hardware can run GNOME smoothly?
                  I've tried 3 different modern Intel graphics computers and all run GNOME poorly. I wonder what hardware can run it. AMD? NVIDIA? An i7-latest generation only? Because Intel graphics can't.
                  As someone who just switched from a Nvidia 770 to a and 570, I have to say: guess again.
                  Gnome is a slow, chugging mess whatever you use. It got really unbearable after adding a second monitor, of course the zealots will blame everything but the DE. Switching to the blessed open source otherwise second-league hardware from amd made little difference.
                  ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                    Yep, I actually really like gnome but the performance is such a deal breaker. For now I use MATE, hoping some day gnome-shell gets it's performance issues figured out

Comment

Working...
                    X