WebRender Reaches Beta For GPU-Accelerated Web Rendering In Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebRender Reaches Beta For GPU-Accelerated Web Rendering In Firefox

Phoronix: WebRender Reaches Beta For GPU-Accelerated Web Rendering In Firefox

WebRender, the very exciting multi-year project for providing more GPU-accelerated rendering of web content and originally developed as part of the experimental Servo engine, has reached the beta milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am more interested in supporting h264 hardware decoding... but I am slowly losing hope that I will see this in Firefox for Linux ...

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      I am more interested in supporting h264 hardware decoding... but I am slowly losing hope that I will see this in Firefox for Linux ...
      Code:
      apt install epiphany-browser gstreamer1.0-vaapi

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        WebRender can actually help with hardawre decoding. Mozilla just didin't focus on it yet.

Comment

To enable WebRender in Firefox beta, set this environment variable (for example in $HOME/.profile):

Code:
          export MOZ_WEBRENDER=1
          This will override hardware blacklisting which Firefox uses for most GPUs. It works fine for me with AMD and Intel (Mesa).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            To enable WebRender in Firefox beta, set this environment variable (for example in $HOME/.profile):

Code:
            export MOZ_WEBRENDER=1
            This will override hardware blacklisting which Firefox uses for most GPUs. It works fine for me with AMD and Intel (Mesa).
            The article tells you how to do the same thing.

WebRender remains available for easily enabling within Firefox Nightly via the gfx.webrender.all setting within about:config followed by a restart to the web-browser.

Comment

Just tested it for latest beta (Firefox 64.0b4). Setting gfx.webrender.all to true doesn't do anything (that config key doesn't exist in beta btw, you need to create one).

Only setting the env variable works like above.

Open about:support and see what your compositing is set to.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

The article tells you how to do the same thing.

Not sure if you have forgotten to put on your reading glasses? 'Cause the article tells you how to enable it in Firefox NIGHTLY, while the person you quoted tells you how to enable it in Firefox BETA. Nightly =! Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not sure if you have forgotten to put on your reading glasses? 'Cause the article tells you how to enable it in Firefox NIGHTLY, while the person you quoted tells you how to enable it in Firefox BETA. Nightly =! Beta
                  Strange thing is, the original linked article from gfx blog, says it's now in Beta, but I don't see any difference (by default) and it still doesn't work without env variable set.

Comment

Question is if you want to use a feature that is not intended for usage with that particular program version.

Comment

Working...
                    X