FFmpeg Picks Up Support For New Formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    ffmpeg is getting better, but for me it is still not good enough to watch h264 ts for example using kaffeine. It works for some frames, then the errors come and artefacts. In bad cases the codec fails completely - with too many bad bits.
    Either you are using a very old version of the decoder or the MPEG-TS demuxer in Kaffeine (Xine) messes something up. The current FFmpeg H.264 decoder handles all common H.264 streams properly, including Blu-ray and HDTV sources (once decrypted). Of course there are still bugs and H.264 is a very complex standard, so everything may not work. But if you have problems with many files from different sources, there is definitely something wrong with your software/hardware setup.

Try playing your files with a recent MPlayer SVN revision (you'll probably need to build it yourself though).

Comment

How long does it usually take for improvements in ffmpeg/libav* to be available in mplayer/mencoder?

Comment

Has anybody built mplayer with ffmpeg-mt already? I have tried to copy the libav* folders from ffmpeg-mt into the mplayer build directory, but the result does not quite utilise all four cores. Is there anything else I should do?

Forget about it: in my eternal wisdom I forgot to provide lavdopts with threads=n. It's now working pretty well.
        Last edited by susikala; 06 December 2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

While the addition of these new formats is nice, the most important missing format of all is still not included: AMR. AMR is the format used in cellular phone's audio and video formats. Now that theses devices are popular (and use is growing) the need for native AMR support is critical. I know of two Kubuntu users who switched back to Windows because the need to interface with the media from cellphones was so important. And that is after they got over the hurdle of switching from MS Office to Open Office!

Comment

In mplayer you get AMR support by installing the narrow- and wideband libs before it, would this be the case for ffmpeg too?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              In mplayer you get AMR support by installing the narrow- and wideband libs before it, would this be the case for ffmpeg too?
              For some reason, at least with mplayer RCs, that breaks my ability to play anything else! Tested on Kubuntu 7.04 and 8.04 installed from Medibuntu repo.

Comment

Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
                While the addition of these new formats is nice, the most important missing format of all is still not included: AMR. AMR is the format used in cellular phone's audio and video formats. Now that theses devices are popular (and use is growing) the need for native AMR support is critical. I know of two Kubuntu users who switched back to Windows because the need to interface with the media from cellphones was so important. And that is after they got over the hurdle of switching from MS Office to Open Office!
                There's a branch with preliminary AMR support- it's probably more useful for developers though since it's grown kind of stagnant. Check out the /soc/amr instead of /ffmpeg/trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                  There's a branch with preliminary AMR support- it's probably more useful for developers though since it's grown kind of stagnant. Check out the /soc/amr instead of /ffmpeg/trunk.
                  Thanks, that is nice to know. However, I will not be installing that on my user's systems. My 'users' are friends / family / associates who I've installed Kubuntu / Fedora for. There's a good 20 of them and I have learned not to install development builds if I don't want to be doing free tech support for life.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                    Has anybody built mplayer with ffmpeg-mt already? I have tried to copy the libav* folders from ffmpeg-mt into the mplayer build directory, but the result does not quite utilise all four cores. Is there anything else I should do?

Forget about it: in my eternal wisdom I forgot to provide lavdopts with threads=n. It's now working pretty well.
                    Wow, I just tried the mt-branch. I ran some test material I haven't been able to play without frame skips and losing a/v sync before. For example, H264 BD video runs without any framedrops with both cpu cores at 70%. A randomly chosen 1080p video clip played about 50% faster in mplayer's benchmark mode. I had to use -demuxer lavf on the BD material, though, otherwise the video window wouldn't appear at all for some reason.

Anyway, I'm impressed. Can't wait until this gets in ffmpeg trunk. I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 3 GHz, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X